Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 150mm vs 135mm Images for comparison

150mm vs 135mm Images for comparison

Hello !

I am in the process of getting a slightly longer than my 90mm lens for my 4x5 system and am very undecided between 135 and 150 focal lengths. I know that these are very close in terms of numbers, but would love to see some images taken from both focal lengths to have a better perception of what type of feel these have. It would also be extremely useful to see various type of images, like landscapes but also closer portraits and environmental portraits.

If someone has the possibility, it would be nice to see some images produced with the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S "versions" of the above mentioned focal lengths, which is one of the options I am currently considering buying. About these Rodenstocks, does anyone know if one of the above is a better performer than the other, or more recommended so to speak, at wider apertures than the other - let's sat if one intends to shoot more at around f11 than around f22?

Thank you to all who can take some time to respond and can help !
    Pietro

Re: 150mm vs 135mm Images for comparison

The 150 is far more popular

135 will give you a little more room for environmental portraits in constrained spaces like indoors, but this focal length is only about 10% shorter than 150. Of all other things being equal, 150 will allow for a little more movement (rise, fall, shift, etc) than a similar 135.

I highly doubt you will see any significant difference between modern lenses via images on a computer screen.

What will you be doing with the negatives (scan, print, etc)? That also will determine the best lens for you.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

If you are familiar with smaller formats, it might give you a clue. For example, with 35mm, would you find a 40mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm, or 58mm best for your needs/interests/subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by nicemate1 View Post
    Hello !
    undecided between 135 and 150 focal lengths.
    If you plan to gather a kit, from 90mm to 135mm you have a +50% long step. A bit, think for the future. I'd suggest to plan what progression you want in your future kit, with +30% steps or with +50% steps, then acquire first the lenses you are to use the more.

For portraits I'd prefer the 150mm, for landscape I'd prefer the 135.

The Sironar S has slightly larger circle, in theory it is also a bit more contrasty, and with slightly less flare. I use the N versions, IMHO it is very difficult to say if the shot was made with an S or N, even with a side by side comparisons, in some cases (sun in the framming perhaps you may see an slight difference.

A Pro would prefer an S if it is intesively used, if you are building a kit you may perfer investing in having more focals in your kit. The N is also a superb lens, probably there will be a lot of other limiting factors in most shots that are tio hide any N vs S difference, like camera vibration, alignment, DOF, diffraction...

S version was more expensive because it has some 2 ED glass elements of the 6, allowing for good correction of lateral chromatic aberration in the corners of the larger larger image circle.

The quality of your work won't be related at all, I reiterate at all, to having the N or S version, but if you want something slightly better and you want to pay it, then the S is the choice.better

I'm not sure what seeing images from both focal lengths would accomplish, unless they were of the same subject. How many people ever shot the same scene using two lenses of such similar FL? I know I haven't. Just seeing an image taken with a 135 is only meaningful if you know the subject matter, can visualize the position from where the image was made and several other variables.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Lachlan 717

Generally, the 150mm lenses offer significantly larger image circles. Might be something to consider.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Roman Loranc does pretty good with a 210mm
    https://www.romanloranc.com/
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Fujinon image circles 135mm vs 150mm:

W f5.6 -- 228mm vs 245mm
    NW f5.6 -- 206mm vs 224mm
    CM-W f5.6 -- 214mm vs 223mm

Mean difference = 15mm or 7.5mm (~0.25") in each direction.

Significant for 4x5" work, where you have AT LEAST an inch of play in any direction with the SMALLEST image circle?
    Last edited by xkaes; 25-Sep-2017 at 17:54.