Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Book: The Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Print

Re: New Book: The Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Print

Congrats, Denise! Ordered.

Robert

Thanks!! Everyone. I don't have sufficient words to express my appreciation for the supportive thoughts. Kind words from friends is the real coin of the realm.

Agregov: The Focal book jumps off from my first book and expands on paper making and printing. There is overlap in techniques and a couple of the recipes because the basics really are basic :-). The first book (142 pages) is about half paper making/half dry plate and film making). The Focal book has much more information on just paper (and paper negatives).

d
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Quote Originally Posted by DHodson View Post
    Ordered - Loved your first book and looking forward to this one. Thanks for putting all the effort in. I struggle here in Canada to source everything - particularly considering the shipping costs and border stuff but the hunt is part of the fun.

Regards
    Dave Hodson
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Hi Dave,
    I certainly understand the fun of the source hunt, but it's also nice to find success at the end of the trail! I was in The Camera Store in Calgary last month. They have a very decent darkroom section, and they seem very supportive of all the facets of photography. I know Calgary is a long-haul drive from you, but if The Camera Store stocked a few essentials, they might be able to ship north at a reasonable rate. I will contact them sometime soon. Perhaps if you did the same (and others?), they might find some store shelf space for more chemicals and misc. Just a thought :-).
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

Hi Denise

Thanks very much for the suggestion and I'd really appreciate your offer to speak with them. I buy my film and darkroom chemicals from The Camera Store now and their shipping is reasonable - never thought of approaching them to expand their stock though. I just built a UV exposure unit and am looking for alternative process (kallitype) chemicals as well so I'd look forward to any support they might be willing to offer. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

On another note, do you ever do any workshops in Alberta (or Canada for that matter)?

Thanks again
    Dave

Hi Denise,

Congratulations on the upcoming publication of your book. I look forward to getting a copy and learn some of your emulsion techniques. In fact, I visited your site earlier this year trying to figure out what type of simple silver emulsion I could make to work with carbon tissue with a tanning developer. My efforts did not turn out so well, but may re-visit the task one day, but it will have to wait until the book we are working on is finished.

Thanks for your work, and hope our paths cross one day.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by DHodson View Post
    Hi Denise

Thanks very much for the suggestion and I'd really appreciate your offer to speak with them. I buy my film and darkroom chemicals from The Camera Store now and their shipping is reasonable - never thought of approaching them to expand their stock though. I just built a UV exposure unit and am looking for alternative process (kallitype) chemicals as well so I'd look forward to any support they might be willing to offer. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

On another note, do you ever do any workshops in Alberta (or Canada for that matter)?

Thanks again
    Dave
    There are so many chemical overlaps in the alt processes family, I'd think a good store would be more than willing to stock a small inventory, if asked. Increasing awareness is probably key. Most people here are at least aware there are photographic processes beyond digital, or even film and paper. It's hard to remember that most people are oblivious to the alternative/historical processes and their potential. This seems to be equally true for DSLR owners and for people who do all their image making with a phone.

Good luck with your kallitypes! Such a lovely process.

re workshops: For the last several years, I've been unable to commit to a workshop schedule. That situation changed last month and once I adjust to my "new normal," I think I will start investigating workshop venues. I love Alberta, so it would be a great place to have an another excuse to visit!

d
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hi Denise,

Congratulations on the upcoming publication of your book. I look forward to getting a copy and learn some of your emulsion techniques. In fact, I visited your site earlier this year trying to figure out what type of simple silver emulsion I could make to work with carbon tissue with a tanning developer. My efforts did not turn out so well, but may re-visit the task one day, but it will have to wait until the book we are working on is finished.

Thanks for your work, and hope our paths cross one day.

Sandy
    Were you thinking about the Carbro process? That has fascinated me for a long time. Bromide paper without a hard supercoat is one of the requirements (I think). The paper is easy enough to make, although the exact recipe might have to be tweaked for carbro (??), but the only thing I know about making carbon tissue is from watching my friend Vaughn Hutchins make his. He makes it look easy, but I know that is because he is a master. Successful Carbro resurrection might be best be accomplished by a team. That would be very rewarding.

Good luck with your new book! I'm looking forward to reading it.

d

p.s. Never hesitate to email me with any questions about emulsion making.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Denise, if you need to know anything about making carbon tissue or the process Im up the street so to speak in Vancouver Washington. I'd be happy to help. Congratulations on the book it sounds very interesting.

Cool! Ordered

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Denise, if you need to know anything about making carbon tissue or the process Im up the street so to speak in Vancouver Washington. I'd be happy to help. Congratulations on the book it sounds very interesting.
    That's a very generous offer. Thank you. I'm putting the finishing touches on material supplementary to the book right now. When I'm done with that, I think I'll do a deep dive into the Carbro literature. If I think a resurrection is feasible, I will definitely look to you for advice! Best of days, d
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com