Thread: ektar 12 inch filter size

ektar 12 inch filter size

hi,
    i've been shooting with an ektar 12 inch for the past month or so now and i just miss filters,
    after measuring, the filter size was about 60mm rather weird right?
    where on earth do i get a 60mm sized filter?
    any advice? anyone?
    thanks

Re: ektar 12 inch filter size

You don't. They were designed long before the screw-in filters that became popular in the '60s. They used, like nearly all vintage lenses, push-on filter adapters that were sized according to the external size of the barrel/cell. Look for the right sized "series" adapter. Alternatively you can have S.K. Grimes make a custom screw-in adapter. You'll find many threads asking the exact same question for almost every vintage lens.

BTW, the 14" Commercial Ektar seems to be an exception as it can use a standard 72mm screw-in adapter.

Cheers, Steve

Do or do not. There is no try.

I assume you've got the 12-in f/6.3 Commercial Ektar, as this is the closest in size to 60mm.

According to the catalog on the cameraeccentric site, this lens takes "Series VIII" accessories (Roman numeral 8). There's typically a push-on adapter with a threaded front and a retaining ring. Series filters themselves, at least the ones I've seen in VI and VII, have no threads, just a smooth metal band around the edge. They drop in to the adapter and are held in by the front retaining ring.

Series stuff shows up on eBay from time to time. It's possible Tiffen or someone still makes it. There are also converter rings that translate between Series and regular filters, I've got Ser. VII to 52mm for my 100 and 135 WF Ektars.

Here's the cameraeccentric page for the 1953 Kodak lens catalog: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html

thanks guys for the timely input, i'll keep my ears to the floor on ebay, hope to find something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by depso View Post
    hi,
    i've been shooting with an ektar 12 inch for the past month or so now and i just miss filters,
    after measuring, the filter size was about 60mm rather weird right?
    where on earth do i get a 60mm sized filter?
    any advice? anyone?
    thanks
    Cheap and easy alternative: Lee polyesters in that rubber band thingy. They work better than they look and if you like fresh aspargus or broccoli you'll have a lifetime supply of spare rubber bands courtesy of the supermarket.
    Put the polyesters in the cardboard sandwiches you can get from Calumet and they'll last a long, long time.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Cheap and easy alternative: Lee polyesters in that rubber band thingy. They work better than they look and if you like fresh aspargus or broccoli you'll have a lifetime supply of spare rubber bands courtesy of the supermarket.
    Put the polyesters in the cardboard sandwiches you can get from Calumet and they'll last a long, long time.
    I was going to ask if anyone had used the Gel Snap (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/533101...No.8-11-21-23A) and I'm glad someone piped in. I have a c. 1960 lens that I'd like to use with filters, so I'm thinking about getting just that B&W set. Freestyle has lots of other sets w/ holder and without too. Thanks for recommending it.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

If you have a 12" Commercial Ektar f6.3, then it will take a 63.5mm push on Series 8 adapter. This adapter has threads that will accept most 67mm filters directly. I have used it that way without problems. I no longer have a 12" CE, so I will be happy to sell you the adapter. Send me a PM for details.