Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

Octogenarian

Re: Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

I was mistaken about the position of the sensor in the Screen Cezanne. Sorry about that.

For my own satisfaction, I just performed a scan with my Epson V750 where I placed a 5x7 negative so that the scanners' sensor would need to pass through a piece of anti-Newton glass before reading the film.

Scanned it as 16 bit grayscale at 2400 dpi. Sent it to Photoshop and blew it up to 100%. At that magnification, I was just barely able to detect the texture of the anti-newton glass. At 200%, it was easily seen.

Perhaps the higher quality of the lens and focusing mechanism of the Screen Cezanne, as well as it's finer textured anti-Newton glass, accounts for the difference.

I still feel that it's not a good idea to allow the sensor of the Epson V750 to pass through anti-Newton glass before reading a negative or transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

Perhaps the higher quality of the lens and focusing mechanism of the Screen Cezanne, as well as it's finer textured anti-Newton glass, accounts for the difference.
    I think you're right. I was very surprised by the results of my tests. It's very counter-intuitive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Exclamation Re: Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Scanned it as 16 bit grayscale at 2400 dpi.
    Why would anybody buy a scanner that's rated 6400 dpi and use it at 2400?

If you want to evaluate degradation, scan the same film at 6400 with and without the ANR glass below it.

Then you'll get some meaningful results.

- Leigh

Octogenarian

Leigh,

Scanning a 5x7 B&W negative at 6400dpi seems to take forever. It was much faster to do it at 2400dpi.

I wasn't attempting to evaluate degradation. only curious to find out if the texture of the AN glass would be visible at my usual scanning settings.

I usually scan everything on my Epson V750 at 2400dpi. Seems to be the sweet spot for my scanner. The largest prints I make are 16"x20".

Also, I only wanted to use enough dpi's to find out if the anti-Newton glass would have an effect on my scanners' sensor. Which it did.
    Last edited by Gem Singer; 3-May-2011 at 14:10.

Many people on the forum with V750s and V700s scan at around 2400 spi. The reason is many have found that scanning at higher sampling rate with those scanners doesn't yield much, if any, real improvement. What matters is optical resolution and not interpolated resolution.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Ok guys. Some of you have hijacked the OPs thread about the V750 with talk about the Cezanne. I'm sure he apreciates the off topic posts.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

The original post was about using anti-newton glass in a V750. The Cezanne uses anti-newton glass (well, plastics really), and I brought it up in an attempt to help the original poster. That's hijacking a thread?

No matter which side of the emulsion that I place face up I still get rings. I have an Epson V750 and I am trying to scan TMax and with a sheet of anti newton ring glass on top of the negative. I am new to scanning so it may just be my work flow.
    I read somewhere years ago that this would also occur when enlarging TMax with the LPL anti newton ring glass negative carrier due to only one surface being anr glass. I never owned a glass 4 X 5 carrier so I never experienced the problem.
    Anyone else have this problem with TMax?

-Gerry

Octogenarian

Jim,

This thread was not hijacked.

The original poster was inquiring about replacing the clear glass platten on his Epson V750 with anti-newton glass.

My contention is, although works with the high-end Screen Cezanne scanner, it is not a good idea on the Epson V750.

See the discussion about Newton Rings and the history of solving the problem, on the Focal Point website: www.fpointinc.com

Octogenarian

Gerry,

Both the emulsion side and the base side of T-Max film is smooth. Placing either side against smooth glass will cause Newton Rings.

You need to use AN glass above and below the film.

On the other hand, the base side of HP-5+ is dull (slightly textured). It can be placed against smooth glass without causing Newton Rings.