Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would Love to See an "Other Formats" Sub Forum

Re: Would Love to See an "Other Formats" Sub Forum

I like the idea of a smaller formats subforum, but that doesn't mean I think that the LF forum should have one. I don't. There are plenty of good alternatives for that, and one of the strengths of this place is its specificity. It works well as it is and really doesn't need any other categories tacked on to muddy the waters.

Regarding alternatives, I avoid APUG as much as I can (far, *far* too high a weenie quotient in general), but there are a lot of other options out there. RFF is great. There are lots of good discussions in groups on flickr as well. Photo.net isn't so bad here and there. With those and the LF forum, I have what I need.

The only area where I feel that maybe there should be a bit more leeway would be with image sharing/posting. Maybe just a specific thread for non-LF images for those of us who want to share something that wasn't shot on large format but which we'd rather share with the LF group here than with the individuals somewhere else who perhaps we do not like or respect as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Hello, I know a lot of LF'ers shoot medium and 35mm, probably more towards traditional processes as well.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tap their expertise here on a sub forum for medium format and 35mm?

Anyone else had this idea? Has this been proposed before?
    We have one. It's called The Lounge. And I hope we don't change.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I thought ad hominem attacks against participants -- even if you've cleverly avoided naming specific posters with whom you disagree when calling them immature -- was as welcome here as small format discussions outside the lounge. Apparently not.
    Sal,

You misunderstood me. Maturity, as I used it, refers to the age of the members, not their attitudes, and I wasn't disagreeing with anyone, just making a point. It is interesting, on a social level, that you are at the same time eager to criticize another member's (misinterpreted) use of ad hominem reasoning, with the use of blatant sarcasm. It seems rudeness is acceptable if you deem your target has earned it.

I've observed that most who leave do so for one of two reasons. Either they can't deal with the rules or (much more common) they've moved on to a digital-capture workflow. Some of the latter continue to participate here, contributing the knowledge/experience gained when they did work with large format film cameras.
    I hope you won't be offended if I doubt your analysis. People rarely make decisions of any kind based on a single factor. Even if they did, we wouldn't know it unless we polled them, and then compiled the data, which I'm assuming you haven't done. Please pardon me if that's not the case.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter. Except for those few former LFers who visit here regularly, neither of those two departee categories contributes much beyond strife.

Certainly forum participation could decline beyond a critical point.
    I agree with the second part. I can think of at least one core group member who left, and it would be hard to make the case that he didn't " contribute much beyond strife."

In my opinion, those who've left because they don't like the rules or 'went digital' haven't brought the numbers down to any substantial degree, with many new posters more than taking up the slack. Also, the distinction between this forum and "chat rooms" should not be forgotten. Everyone who once shared valuable information and then departed has left a record in the archive. Anyone properly searching before posting redundantly will continue to reap the benefits.
    I agree there's a distinction to be made between this forum and a chat room, and another to be made between this forum and an archive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    ...but now the forum is mature (if not the members)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I thought ad hominem attacks against participants -- even if you've cleverly avoided naming specific posters with whom you disagree when calling them immature -- was as welcome here as small format discussions outside the lounge. Apparently not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    You misunderstood me. Maturity, as I used it, refers to the age of the members, not their attitudes, and I wasn't disagreeing with anyone, just making a point. It is interesting, on a social level, that you are at the same time eager to criticize another member's (misinterpreted) use of ad hominem reasoning, with the use of blatant sarcasm. It seems rudeness is acceptable if you deem your target has earned it...
    Whether you've used "immature" with reference to chronological or emotional age, it most definitely was an ad hominem attack against those with whom you disagree in this thread. No verbal gymnastics after the fact can successfully obfuscate what's posted. Pointing out facts is not rude; I'm unaware of any forum rules prohibiting sarcasm when doing so.

Repeating my salient points:

• Those who leave because they won't follow the rules are no loss to the community
    • Those who leave because they moved on to a digital capture workflow bequeath to this site's archive everything they've previously contributed
    • Those who move on to a digital capture workflow but continue to participate here within the rules are valuable contributors.

Many forum members display their photos on the web - either on their own web sites or elsewhere.

We have always been free to view their work - at those locations - whatever the format.

I like the idea, but I agree that the Lounge fills that niche adequately. Any attempt to do otherwise will obviously cause a rift in the community, and since this is a LF forum after all there's just no point in going there.

One point, and I sincerely hope I don't get flamed (though I won't respond if I do), is that I really appreciate those who can respond to an honest suggestion without histrionics & rudeness. I left APUG because no thread seemed to stay on track without devolving into a flame war. This forum seems on the edge of that now. I have a feeling that many of our folks would never speak to one another in person the way they freely blast each other over the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Whether you've used "immature" with reference to chronological or emotional age, it most definitely was an ad hominem attack against those with whom you disagree in this thread. No verbal gymnastics after the fact can successfully obfuscate what's posted. Pointing out facts is not rude; I'm unaware of any forum rules prohibiting sarcasm when doing so.

Repeating my salient points:

• Those who leave because they won't follow the rules are no loss to the community
    • Those who leave because they moved on to a digital capture workflow bequeath to this site's archive everything they've previously contributed
    • Those who move on to a digital capture workflow but continue to participate here within the rules are valuable contributors.
    Sal,

I didn't use "immature" at all- you did. What I said is quoted. I was referring to another poster who mentioned the ages of members. It's quite common for people to see/read what they want/expect, but to insist on your interpretation after the author has clarified is something else. With whom, in your opinion, have I disagreed? I haven't endorsed or recommended anything in this thread; I've simply made some observations and asked a few questions. You've misinterpreted my posts, made unfounded accusations, and have been generally rude and obnoxious, hiding behind forum guidelines for conduct. And for the record, I don't find any of your points particularly salient.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post

The only area where I feel that maybe there should be a bit more leeway would be with image sharing/posting. Maybe just a specific thread for non-LF images for those of us who want to share something that wasn't shot on large format but which we'd rather share with the LF group here than with the individuals somewhere else who perhaps we do not like or respect as much.
    there is a thread exactly like that in the lounge .....

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    We have one. It's called The Lounge. And I hope we don't change.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    there is a thread exactly like that in the lounge .....
    Sweet.

Edit: The only problem is, it's in the lounge. I don't visit the lounge here or on any equivalent board on any other forum. But then, that's my problem.