Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for 8x10

Tripod head for 8x10

Hi all, I just got an 8x10 field camera. It weighs about 4kg.
    My tripod is a Manfrotto 055 and it's ok.
    But the problem is my 410 Junior head isn't.
    It shakes quite a bit.
    I was thinking of either getting a second hand Gitzo 3 way head. I found a very old one for 100 euros
    or a manfrotto levelling base (338) but then I'd still need a panorama head to rotate once levelled. Any suggestion on panorama head?
    I am not keen on ballheads although they look steady and light.
    I know FLM does ones in which you can only unlock tilt so it must be like having a 3 way head...

Re: Tripod head for 8x10

Hello,

I have a FLM ballhead 48 FTR and my Kodak 2D 8x10 is secure on it.

Thanks!
    I just realised though that even the FLM FTR ballheads are not really 3 way ballheads...you can lock tilt but not in 2 directions

The FLM ball heads with tilt lock are regular ball heads that also have the ability to lock up the L-R axis.
    This permits movement of the ball on one axis only, the front-to-back axis.
    With the tilt lock applied, it behaves like a 2-way head, but it's not a real 2-way head, it's an added feature that has practical applications.
    A YouTube search will turn up a couple of videos showing the feature and how to use it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    The FLM ball heads with tilt lock are regular ball heads that also have the ability to lock up the L-R axis.
    This permits movement of the ball on one axis only, the front-to-back axis.
    With the tilt lock applied, it behaves like a 2-way head, but it's not a real 2-way head, it's an added feature that has practical applications.
    A YouTube search will turn up a couple of videos showing the feature and how to use it properly.
    Exactly so I am leaning towards a levelling base + a basic panoramic head.
    Any experience with this setup? (possibly from 8x10 users)

Photographer

If you like the 410, there was a larger version, the 405. I don't think they are available new any more, but you should be able find on the used market.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    If you like the 410, there was a larger version, the 405. I don't think they are available new any more, but you should be able find on the used market.
    Thanks Keith, I have considered it but it is too expensive (at least Euro 400) and it just(!) supports up to 7.5kgs. My setup is slightly lighter. This tells me it is not stable enough if I compare to other solutions like the ones I suggested above (15kgs).

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I shoot a lot of 8x10 with cameras that folks here would consider a bit on the heavy side and have tried any number of tripod heads. I have used ball heads and dial heads and Ries and Majestic platform heads and with 8x10 I find the three way individual control arm heads such as the Manfrotto 3039 to be the easiest and most efficient for me. I like the levels on both sides of the base, the quick release plate that is solid and locks down quickly and firmly as well as controlling and locking down rotation, fore and aft movements individually. Keep an eye on the used market. I found an identical Manfrotto 410 tripod with the 3039 head in like new condition local on a reselling listing and keep it as a backup.

I prefer a Gitzo Series 5 low-profile pan/tilt head for 8x10 field cameras. This video shows a series 3 head, but the same thing work with a series 5, and it's even more effective if you can use two tripod screws:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jXeJtw_24
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I prefer a Gitzo Series 5 low-profile pan/tilt head for 8x10 field cameras. This video shows a series 3 head, but the same thing work with a series 5, and it's even more effective if you can use two tripod screws:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jXeJtw_24
    Personal preference. Familiar with the Gitzo head and it does a good job. I have big hands and like the longer thicker handles. I get annoyed trying to mate the bottom of the camera thread with a moving head screw in the field. I do not have a choice with the Deardorff V11. Quick release takes that variable out of play and puts the process in expedite mode. Whatever gets the light to the film as efficiently as the photographer desires is what gets put to use.