Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    That's a really nice result for a phone, and as someone who uses a phone camera semi-regularly (the camera you have on you is the best camera), I'd love to get that quality instead of what I currently do.
    You might find this book/project an interesting diversion. That Tree by Mark Hirsch.

'That Tree' is a great series. I find myself assembling short slideshows all the time, seems 9 images makes a real nice grid on facebook.

Yesterday I got 30 year old Polaroids I shot, from my ex-wifes estate. I promptly scanned them, cleaned em up and proudly posted images I had forgotten existed.

Half the people were dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You might find this book/project an interesting diversion. That Tree by Mark Hirsch.
    Tin Can

Just learned something on the news. Turns out Chicago is a hotbed for urban ruins photography with cell phones. Good story by WGN here. They even use tripods!

And they proclaim they prefer stills over video for the more powerful 'statement'.

http://wgntv.com/2013/07/15/urban-ex...rom-instagram/
    Tin Can

They even use tripods!
    Tip of the day: iPhones which can take a picture when you press the "+" volume button can be triggered using the ear-bud volume control.

So, there you have a cable-type release!

Don't breathe here!
    Photo credit: dannymota

Good tip Jac, even works with my iPod 4, but I don't use the thing for music, so I am going to cut up a jack and put a switch on it. Perhaps I will have a spy rig then.

I can't stand earbuds, I prefer huge over the ear headphones. But I rarely use them either, unless it is late at night and I need to appease the night sleepers.

The rumour is the next iphone will have a better camera and screen, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Tip of the day: iPhones which can take a picture when you press the "+" volume button can be triggered using the ear-bud volume control.

So, there you have a cable-type release!

Don't breathe here!
    Photo credit: dannymota
    Tin Can

Just an update on the Chicago Sun Times and Chicago Tribune (who maintains a photo staff). The following article compares the two papers covering similar stories within Chicago.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/07.../?viewall=true

I'm not sure if they cherry picked the worse examples, but there is a stark difference. The two papers might also have a different reader base, where images aren't as important in one paper compared with the other.

I live in Chicago and never buy either local paper anymore. I used to read both every day. Occasionally I buy a NYT, and at least it's a real NEWS paper. I seldom buy printed books and actually prefer digital versions. They take up less space. I do subscribe to many magazines for the pictures and ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Chilibeck View Post
    Just an update on the Chicago Sun Times and Chicago Tribune (who maintains a photo staff). The following article compares the two papers covering similar stories within Chicago.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/07.../?viewall=true

I'm not sure if they cherry picked the worse examples, but there is a stark difference. The two papers might also have a different reader base, where images aren't as important in one paper compared with the other.
    Tin Can

Well , it's happening . 36mp photographs from 8k video and 12k is in the works .
    https://petapixel.com/2017/06/19/8k-...l-photography/

This has been happening for a while.

Not sure when it became normal, but I have heard of more than a few doing it.

Why not?

I expect mainstream (pun?) direct to the brain within 10 years. They have already made blind from birth see with video cameras. Years ago.

Les

Well, the rig costs 50K and the lenses....+ set of Summilux-C lenses would be just a smidgen over 400K. Hope I din't create any heart conditions for anyone, but one could purchase 18 homes for that in Penna. Kinda like going fishing (lb/karp) and getting a 60K boat. OK, OK, maybe this makes sens for some folks.

The new Nikon D850 can do nearly the same at $3200 or so.

Les