Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going SOFT in the Enlarging Stage. Soft focus from sharp negs.

Re: Going SOFT in the Enlarging Stage. Soft focus from sharp negs.

Wow, Jim, I love this. And that's the Getty Center, I believe, which is also my favorite place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by billie williams View Post
    Wow, Jim, I love this. And that's the Getty Center, I believe, which is also my favorite place to visit.
    Hi Billie. Yes, the Getty with No cameras allowed inside, and No tripods. I had to set my little camera on the wall to steady it for the exposure. I recall that none of the locals were intrigued but all the folks from Europe and Japan were interested in the little antique camera.

that is a classic negative black makie line around his profile, negative solarization.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    http://www.manray.net/images/man-ray-photo.jpg

I am wondering if the glow around Man Ray here is from soft focus enlarging, or if its a normal soft focus glow that is solarized, or what the special combination is? (Also curious about any guesses of the lens pictured)

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've been going through a few old copies of Lensology & Shutterisms, little booklets published bi-monthly by Wollensak for its dealers. Here's page 1 from the Nov./Dec. 1919 issue. I've known that the star-shaped stops for the Verito were enlarging stops, but seeing references to Veritos used for enlarging reminded me it was once a fairly well-used option...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L&S 1.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

That's interesting, Mark. I had no idea people used Veritos for enlarging!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The Verito enlarging stops, for those who haven't seen them. These allowed one to close down the lens without losing all the softness, somewhat similar to the H-stops on an Imagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails verito stops.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Ah! This explains why the iris equipped Verito I bought from Jim Galli has a WH stop slot!

Now I must mount the lens for enlarging and make odd WH inserts!

I just bought a Wollensak lens brochere and it mentions Verito for enlarging but does not show the special Waterhouse stops.

And now it comes to me why Waterhouse stops are named thusly. They resemble flow control 'valves' used for millenia to meter water with boards. Duh!

Edward Weston enlarged his sharp portrait Graflex negatives by copying them with a soft-focus lens (Verito?) on his 8x10, which were then contact printed. Nobody seems to know exactly how it was done, (there must have been a positive/negative stage somewhere along the process).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I've been going through a few old copies of Lensology & Shutterisms, little booklets published bi-monthly by Wollensak for its dealers. Here's page 1 from the Nov./Dec. 1919 issue. I've known that the star-shaped stops for the Verito were enlarging stops, but seeing references to Veritos used for enlarging reminded me it was once a fairly well-used option...
    lee carmichael used to have a verito lens on one of his enlargers, not sure if he used it, had the stops for it
    or it was just something he had to play around with. i remember a someone and i had a conversation about it
    because he was hoping to buy it from lee ( it was around 8" )

i use a very inexpensive option, a meniscus lens harvested from a box camera. softens just enough, and not too much.
    if i can find the print scans i will post them .. they were taken with the same box camera with the f10 choke-down,
    and then enlarged with the same lens ( without the choke ).
    i heard that back in the day some folks did that - remove the lens from the camera
    and stuck it on their enlarger, had some film and paper to burn so i played a bit.
    - good to see i wasn't duped, as i usually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

And now it comes to me why Waterhouse stops are named thusly. They resemble flow control 'valves' used for millenia to meter water with boards. Duh!
    Umm, just a reminder: Waterhouse stops are named after their inventor: John Waterhouse.