Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celluloid no more: distribution of film to cease by 2013 in the US

Re: Celluloid no more: distribution of film to cease by 2013 in the US

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    Another superficial article, they talk about distribution and therefore print film - it has nothing to do with acquisition (not even the same stock) or still photography.
    Oh, okay. Kodak and fuji sell more motion picture film (negative/print) than any other type. Do you think they're going to keep their doors open just for the LF forum members?

Vinny, I've made this argument time after time, our types don't even figure in the marketing strategy. Kodak at one time had annual capacity of 750 MILLION square yards if film. Divide that by the amount of sheet film we use and see how many people it would take to keep Kodak lines going..Astronomical, so running out to buy 100 extra sheets won't make much difference...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

We'll see; time will tell.

Drew Wiley

A largely unrelated subject. Supply of film base in the critical element, not coating machines per se. Celluloid has had nothing to do with still photography for nearly a century.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    A largely unrelated subject. Supply of film base in the critical element, not coating machines per se.
    That has often been claimed - but if any, only 135 film might be affected by that. Neither medium nor large format share the film base with any motion picture product.

Drew Wiley

Some confusion here, and I'm not expert at it. But movies being shot on film is itself a different subject than them being massed-produced (copied) for projection use, which is
    what is potentially being phased out or must be run on more expensive polyester base.
    Digital projection is what is being contemplated, not film versus electronic capture per se,
    or nowadays, hybrid effects. But movie films and still films are completely different emulsions anyway, so the only thing involved in common is cumulative corporate dollars
    of profit or loss - an important subject - but they could be selling orange juice on the side
    and it would still affect the bottom line.

Sevo: there are so few photochemical labs left that they generally produce projection prints too, that's where the money is. At least in my experience in LA. The studios send the negative to places like Deluxe. there was a recent development where Technicolor got out of the photochemical business altogether, partnering with Deluxe for all chemical lab work. Technicolor is now all digital postproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Digital projection is what is being contemplated, not film versus electronic capture per se,
    Film capture follows film distribution, at least that has been the case for the last few years. One of the largest rental houses in LA (Otto Nemenz) is auctioning off ALL of their film related cameras and related gear tomorrow here

Just because a business (industry) is changing technology in the US, it doesn't mean that the rest of the world is in the same position.

http://www.photoness.de/yodo_analog/

Check images # 4 through #14

Really impressive! If this is what some people call 'film is dead', I really can live with dead film (which I actually do and enjoy)

Seems somewhere else on the web I read we will all perish by late December 2012. So I guess it makes sense that there will be no film distribution in 2013.