Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Best/Favorite Still Life Images

Re: Best/Favorite Still Life Images

Great photos! Here is some of my favourite series. Both taken with 135 Zeiss Tessar on 9x12 Certo Sport, lithprinted.

Mark, are you in Tucson?

cheers,

Jan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Hi, Jan!

Yes, I'm in Tucson, just northwest of the University. I noticed in another thread that you've been building your own lenses. I've been doing the same, (appropriate still-life attached). Maybe we should start an "images from home-made lens" thread...

~ Mark

Quinces taken with 240 G-Claron on an Eastman 2D, 8X10. Illuminated with Home Depot work lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Hi, Jan!
    I noticed in another thread that you've been building your own lenses. I've been doing the same, (appropriate still-life attached). Maybe we should start an "images from home-made lens" thread...

~ Mark
    Mark,
    Sounds like a great idea. I really like your image. I am courions how many of us are building own lenses and why. For me it would be a bit too early - I just received the barrel but incomplete and at the moment I have only 90 cm lens without an iris.

BTW - I sent you a PM

cheers,

Jan
    Last edited by Jan_6568; 17-Oct-2006 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    'then you'd better stay out of the produce department 'cause it's a veritable orgy!'...............................If you've been getting plenty of sex, you can really sit back and appreciate the artistic nuance that went into a bellpepper or nude without being miserable, of course if you haven't been getting your share, a tree can look like it's got a nice behind on it.

Wonder what they were thinking when they named that Chinese fruit a Kumquat.
    Jonathan, don't get me started with the vulgar "knot-hole" jokes! Let's keep this forum on the high road, shall we? Ahem. (said a hypocritical Christopher). However, while I'm thinking of it, I did used to have a girlfriend with skin like a bark... or am I just imagining that? hmm

But seriously, it's not that the prudish comments I got from my "Sexy Vegetable" series came necessarily from sex-starved people. They're French, for crying-out-loud!
    But it perhaps exposes an interesting chasm between the American and French cultures: that of the appreciation of photography as something other than real (read, "abstract"). I'm speaking mostly about the French public-at-large (as opposed to photographers), but I have met quite a few photojournalistists who also seem to be confused about this question. The idea of the print as an object, in and of itself, seems to have trouble sinking into the French psyche (IMHO). They seem to see only content —or, to be fair .. content first and foremost.

For example, an art-savvy, upper-middle class Frenchman can stand next to me at the Musée d'Orsay and explain —for over ten minutes— every nuance of a van Gogh painting, but the very first thing he might say when he sees a Weston print is, "What is it?" (this actually happened). I mean, what the heck is a Weston pepper about, anyway? Is it about being a pepper?
    When I try to explain that, "no.. this is a picture. Like an abstract painting, you can imagine whatever you'd like", I get laughter. "Afterall, Christopher, you would not apply this logic to a Cartier-Bresson photograph, would you?" Grrrrrrr .. yes I would!

The irony is that photography's great gift of being able to re-present reality in a super-real way, seems to prevent some people from being able to appreciate that very gift. These people need to understand that a picture of a flower is a picture, not a flower. And a picture of a carrot .... um, is not edible!

Gotta go. I saw a hot tree trunk I'm gonna shoot for Playboy.

Best,

Christopher

Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 19-Oct-2006 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hollmann View Post
    Quinces taken with 240 G-Claron on an Eastman 2D, 8X10. Illuminated with Home Depot work lights.
    Wow. Nice work. Curious to know if you've tried making this image in warmtome? Seems to scream for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I prefer carrots to peppers...
    Mark . . . any subject which doesn't require payment, which holds still when you want it too, and which you can EAT after photographing .. is a good subject.. carrot or pepper!

Great shots!

Best,

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Wow. Nice work. Curious to know if you've tried making this image in warmtome? Seems to scream for it!
    Dear Christopher
    Thanks for your interest in the quinces - here's a slightly warmed up version, but only courtesy of Photoshop, I'm afraid. My printed version is on Azo paper developed in Agfa Neutol, and so is also on the colder side. I might try it on some Bergger warm tone paper.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hollmann View Post
    My printed version is on Azo paper developed in Agfa Neutol, and so is also on the colder side. I might try it on some Bergger warm tone paper.
    Alex,
    Azo, at least developed with amidol, gives very nice warm tone when toned with Nelson gold toner.

Jan

Continuing the thread, esp. Christopher's sub-thread about fruit and veg and sex, here's my homage to Weston with a Turk's turban squash, taken last night. As with the quinces on my previous post, lighting is courtesy of Home Depot and bits of cardboard, negative is 8X10, lens 240mm G-Claron. This is a rough and ready scan from the neg., stitched together from three pieces.