Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Statement re Film

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Depressing Statement re Film

Quote Originally Posted by Natasa Stojsic View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what model are you planing to buy? ....... Dealer?

I was considering Ebony SV45U2 at Badger Graphics Jeff seem's fair.
    Hi Natasa;

I'm ordering the full-plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) model; it's listed on the Badger site (it's listed there NOW, wasn't there for the longest time - maybe there IS a full-plate movement afoot!). I live in Canada so I'm ordering through Rob Skeoch (BigCameraWorkshops.com).

Ebonys are beautiful and Jeff IS very fair!

Richard,

I'm trying to figure out why the whole plate is improportionally more than the 5x7" or 8x10" SV versions.

Is that due to the limited numbers, or the fact that the whole plate model is still considered by Ebony as a 'custom' item?

Surely a greater number of orders would bring the price down to a proportional price point to fit between the 5x7 and 10x8 models?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    That's pretty fast!

What's swayed you over to whole-plate format then?
    I have a 7x17 Phillips and a 10 x12 Canham and full-plate just appeals to me for all the reasons that many have voiced in previous threads in this and other forums. It really is a wonderful size for small contact prints. I also enjoy the feeling of historical connection and just maybe the sheer perversity of having a small part in the revival of a historically significant but now obsolete format. Even Ansel used one for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I have a 7x17 Phillips and a 10 x12 Canham and full-plate just appeals to me for all the reasons that many have voiced in previous threads in this and other forums. It really is a wonderful size for small contact prints. I also enjoy the feeling of historical connection and just maybe the sheer perversity of having a small part in the revival of a historically significant but now obsolete format. Even Ansel used one for a while!
    Woohoo! You're pretty much there then.

I'm not aware of whole plate format in any other forum than this one. But then I don't really visit other forums.

Who are you calling 'obsolete'!!! Digital will be long dead before whole plate pixels over

Richard,

I'm trying to figure out why the whole plate is improportionally more than the 5x7" or 8x10" SV versions.

Is that due to the limited numbers, or the fact that the whole plate model is still considered by Ebony as a 'custom' item?

Surely a greater number of orders would bring the price down to a proportional price point to fit between the 5x7 and 10x8 models?
    Rob, that was my question too! I think the answer is in fact that quoted in your second sentence above. Your last point is an excellent one and I wonder what quantity would be needed to bring the price down to the size-proportional region. I could e-mail Ebony and find out but we would then run the risk of having Clay and Sal annoyed that they spent more!

Clay & Sal can live with it! Besides, it might bring whole plate film prices down if there's more

If you're the 4th/5th person to have bought a whole plate, and Ebony already have the tooling, is it possible that the low US$/Can$ conversion rate has driven up the prices?

It'd be nice to hear from Ebony if you do email them

4kg is quite a weight to be carrying though...that's what's putting me off.

My Sanderson is nowhere near that...

Clay & Sal can live with it! Besides, it might bring whole plate film prices down if there's more

If you're the 4th/5th person to have bought a whole plate, and Ebony already have the tooling, is it possible that the low US$/Can$ conversion rate has driven up the prices?

It'd be nice to hear from Ebony if you do email them

4kg is quite a weight to be carrying though...that's what's putting me off.

My Sanderson is nowhere near that...
    LOL I'd like to hear Clay or Sal say that they can live with it!
    I've just finished e-mailing Hiromi at Ebony and I will let you know what he says.
    4 kg isn't light but it is lighter than either of my 2 other cameras - maybe I'm just planning for future infirnity, when I'm down to one camera...

Rio Oso shooter

What a hack the guy that wrote the article is! Look at a LF slide and the resulting print and there can be no discussion about the differences of digital and what we do! I love it when people like this ingrain their crap into the general populace. I realize now that I will be able to make some real dollars from LF images. I am just a hack, but when people come to my house and see what is on my wall they go to pieces. I can not imagine going to an outdoor fair and selling my images. I am evolving and new but it is coming and I hope it will be kind to me in retirement. I'm offered what I consider obscene amounts of cash for a print in my home and I am happy! One does not have to be terribly discerning to see the difference between digital garbage and LF work. When digital gets good enough to be "AS GOOD" or better that my 4x5 we will switch over. When I say AS GOOD I am talking AS GOOD straight up not "if you do this or that most people can not tell the difference" BS.
    We are in the golden age my friends and I am enjoying the ride!

Richard

I got to the start of page 7... and I'm bored.

Anyone sum up the arguments and face-slapping for me??

In relation to the question of age of photographer vs age of medium, I'm 20 and I've been using film for 10 years, since I could use compacts and disposables. I have D-SLR's handy, good ones too.... but I still shoot film. I still have hundreds invested in film equipment, and still spend all weekend sorting out a semi-permanent darkroom, staying up til over 1am to get some prints

My contention has been that LF and ULF film will probably always be available. It will be more expensive compared to today and will probably come from one manufacturer with a choice of two emulsions. I don't know if that will be from Ilford or some producer in China or Eastern Europe.

Paper for enlarging will be the same. One manufacturer with the choice of a couple papers, probably a neutral and warmtone VC fiber, maybe an RC. Again, more expensive than what we pay today.

We will also need to plan what we need for 6 months or a year in advance as the small amount of production needed for the film and paper market will make the economy of limited production runs the norm.

Right now there are really two players in the LF/ULF film market. Efke/Adox and Ilford.
    Ilford has had problems getting enough orders to justify producing and cutting some ULF sizes. It will be interesting to see if they even do another run in 08. I don't consider Kodak a realistic option for myself. I can't afford to tie money up with a middle man for months in the hopes my format will actually be cut and delivered. But if enough folks can work out a realistic deal with Kodak then you have a third source.