Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Street Hassle

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Street Hassle

Drew Wiley

Oh gosh, Thomas. That takes me back. Our grammer school was just about 50/50 Indian and white. There was a huge dirt playground, and every afternoon recess
    what game do you think little kids played - yep, Cowboys and Indians. So every single day it ended with some predictable epithets, a mini race riot, and fistfights. Then we all had to sit in our own little "circle" drawn in the dirt till the end of recess. After that everyone was best friends again... until the next afternoon at least.

We had a lot of coyotes on the farm land until we got a Great Pyrenees. Win/Win.

Drew Wiley

What a beautiful dog. I've seen em used quite a bit in Utah and Colorado up in the aspen, largely left on their own guarding sheep. Collies and Aussies need more direct supervision. We have good friends who trained Border Collies but are now retired. There is quite a bit of weed and brush control going on around here with rental goat herds. One of the goats had to be put down, so we were sitting around the BBQ fire listening to the herder's stories. He once had them back in the hills around LA when a coyote walked up to a billy goat and bit it on the rear. No need to send the dogs; that coyote got quite a lesson from the goat itself.

When setting up a shot at Artist Point one time, a busload of Japanese tourists emptied out and made a bee line for me. I don't speak Japanese, but I think some were saying, "Let's take the same picture this guy is, because he looks like he knows what he's doing with a camera like that". In a matter of minutes, I had people putting their cameras in front of mine, on top of mine, next to mine, on my shoulders and over my head and one girl had the audacity to crawl under my Gitzo and take a picture from there. I was starting to get angry, but realized nothing was happening with the shot I wanted, so I just stood there and started smiling. I'd never seen anything like this in all my years of shooting.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Drew Wiley

I've had that happen with Japanese piling out of tour buses over here at the Golden Gate. Just bad timing. And normally I'm well away from the parking lot within
    a few minutes anyway. Actual hikers tend to be extremely polite, and won't even step in front of a tripod without asking permission first. The last time we
    were atop Haleakala in Maui, it amazed me how they piled off the tour bus and took selfies of each other, and almost none of them even bothered to walk a few
    yards to the overlook itself. Herd mentality. Of course, the Japanese have plenty of serious outdoor types themselves, including the famous Himalayan photographers Shirakawa and Shirohata.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What a beautiful dog. I've seen em used quite a bit in Utah and Colorado up in the aspen, largely left on their own guarding sheep. Collies and Aussies need more direct supervision. We have good friends who trained Border Collies but are now retired. There is quite a bit of weed and brush control going on around here with rental goat herds. One of the goats had to be put down, so we were sitting around the BBQ fire listening to the herder's stories. He once had them back in the hills around LA when a coyote walked up to a billy goat and bit it on the rear. No need to send the dogs; that coyote got quite a lesson from the goat itself.
    Drew that was pretty rude of you, the lady is quite beautiful too... geezz

Actually air rifles and pistols ARE "firearms" in lots of places.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Drew that was pretty rude of you, the lady is quite beautiful too... geezz
    That's me darling of 22 years.