Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: show me something else

multiplex

show me something else

sure, there are a lot of beautiful photogrphs posted on this website in these threads
    but i'd like to see something completely different than what is in your comfort zone.

you like photographing rocks and trees? how about uploading a portrait?
    you like photographing nudes? how about an architectural photograph
    still lives? how about an a abstract ..
    you like portraits? how about a landscape ...

you know, something that stretches you, was difficult for you to do, and maybe, you'll do it again.

Re: show me something else

The most difficult thing for me to photograph was some weddings -- and no, I will not do it again. I suppose something in a pictorial style would be the biggest stretch for me...don't hold your breath waiting for it!

Since I have been photographing for 40 years, I have been doing a lot of stretching to keep limber. Including color work.

I would not call this stretching, just have a lot of fun. Polaroid image transfer -- self-portrait with a couple of enlargers I hauled out of the darkroom for some maintenance (back before my beard turned white!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transfer.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Don't really do the soft focus thing, but I do have a Wollaston meniscus. Sitting bored at home last August, thought I'd play with it. Waterhouse stop was not inserted all the way, and got this interesting effect. On Green double-sided, x-ray.

WheelBarrow by Andrew O'Neill, on Flickr

Pictorial style is not really just soft focus, but now that I think about it, I did try a cheap magnifying lens on a Speed Graphic (first two)...and solarizing a Type 55 negative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlexLastGame2009.jpg   AlexAtBat.jpg   Rhodies.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sure, there are a lot of beautiful photogrphs posted on this website in these threads
    but i'd like to see something completely different than what is in your comfort zone.

you like photographing rocks and trees? how about uploading a portrait?
    you like photographing nudes? how about an architectural photograph
    still lives? how about an a abstract ..
    you like portraits? how about a landscape ...

you know, something that stretches you, was difficult for you to do, and maybe, you'll do it again.
    go for it
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

multiplex

i don't really ever photograph using color film, or flowers
    so for a while there i used up all my velveeta and proveeta
    and shot a bunch of things i never photographed
    and haven't done it since. it was kind of fun i guess
    i learned a lot about how HARD doing things you take for granted are
    and how having color 4x5 film processed at a lab is not for the faint of wallet.

John, I don't know if I know how to do this. I like photographing everything, old cars, abandoned buildings, close-ups of wild flowers, portraits. Perhaps my comfort zone ends at approaching complete strangers and asking if I can take their picture. I have done it before but it has been many, many years. Perhaps I'll try that. I had to do it back in the early 80's as part of a photojournalism class. Shooting 35mm we could only use a 50mm lens and the portraits had to be head & shoulder shots (forcing us to get intimate with the subject). It was a wonderful experience and I got some great shots.

edit - I love your blog and visit often.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

multiplex

hey randy,

thanks for visiting my blog and the kind worlds; i appreciate it !
    your portraits sound great, that is the sort of thing i was talking about... if you can't find photos
    that's ok, if your "archives" are like mine ... good luck !
    i know exactly where you are coming from, i also have to push myself to photograph people like you described.
    its really hard, especially if you don't make a habit out of talking to strangers &c rewarding when it works out !

john

Good question (/challenge...) John! After doing 35mm and medium format for some 40 years I stepped into large format (4x5) a couple of months ago. Now that I've familiarized myself with the gear and materials I'm struggling with the question: what am I going to photograph with this stuff? I'm not interested in landscapes, still lives, architecture or photo's of "things" (cars, trains, ships etc.). For portraits I find 4x5 an overkill and unpractical, though I will give it a try one day. So I decided to give street photography a try. So far, I like it!
    My first results:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vf4x5-049v2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	156556

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vf4x5-047.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	156557

Seems like this thread is dying..... Does that mean that everybody prefers to stay in his / her comfort zone, shooting the same LF photo's we've been doing over the past 50 years? That worries me: my fear is that too few young photographers will feel attracted to the traditional LF photography style and as a result LF film ptotography will die within decades. I would love to see more innovative and exciting applications of LF!