Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

That's just 2am speculation while I await measurements of the Stanley plate and holder.

7am speculation is that the difference is slight and the holder mount itself is exactly 3 1/4 x 5 1/4, since from another post your Kodak sheaths are undersized. I've sent 1/4" plates out before with no issues, so there was apparently variation in plate holders in this size as well. I should be able to trim a little bit off each plate to ensure fit, at least.

Steven is right about getting actual working info!
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 27-Jan-2018 at 06:23.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

A couple of my Ilford NOS lantern slides have the original packing around the box and enclosed were the instructions and emulsion details which may (or may not) be helpful. The development times match quite closely the minutes I have been using in the "dark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Re: Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

I think you need to measure a variety of holders. Most factories use ‘go no go’ jigs in QC.
    I spent my working life in Automotive engine aftermarket product testing. We bought 1000’s of complete engines, even entire wrecked cars to reverse engineer gaskets and check fit. We had 800 crates in storage of sample engines. As Tier 1 OEM big 3 supplier we often had to adapt to recalls.

Any field complaint was addressed by physical examination in the factory.

I realize you are one person doing this part time.

Perhaps some of us could ship you holders for direct measurement and in house fit.

I found I have 4 more NOS plate holders for Mamiya Press camera a ‘6x9’ 2x3.

I can supply a variety of holders on a temporary basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    That's just 2am speculation while I await measurements of the Stanley plate and holder.

7am speculation is that the difference is slight and the holder mount itself is exactly 3 1/4 x 5 1/4, since from another post your Kodak sheaths are undersized.

Steven is right about getting actual working info!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    First 4x5 glass plate negative.

Wanderlust Travelwide, SK Angulon 90/6.8, 1 second at f16.
    Attachment 174014
    really beautiful !!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think you need to measure a variety of holders. Most factories use ‘go no go’ jigs in QC.
    I spent my working life in Automotive engine aftermarket product testing. We bought 1000’s of complete engines, even entire wrecked cars to reverse engineer gaskets and check fit. We had 800 crates in storage of sample engines. As Tier 1 OEM big 3 supplier we often had to adapt to recalls.

Any field complaint was addressed by physical examination in the factory.

I realize you are one person doing this part time.

Perhaps some of us could ship you holders for direct measurement and in house fit.

I found I have 4 more NOS plate holders for Mamiya Press camera a ‘6x9’ 2x3.

I can supply a variety of holders on a temporary basis.
    i hate to suggest this .. sizes that are't run of the mill like 4x5-8x10 &c
    how about asking the customer to send THEIR septum or plate holder
    and you custom make for those orders... seems it would be easier than
    searching and hoping that everyone's plate holders / septum holders
    are the same, or almost the same size .. kind of a PITA to have it sent
    and mail it back but at least you know they will fit ...

Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

This is kind of the wrong thread for a discussion of correcting plate fit, but here are a couple of thoughts.

1) As an engineer, I'm familiar with the use of jigs (the correct term is a functional gage but I tend to call them jigs). A jig would be appropriate if I controlled the design and production of all quarter plate holders, but I don't. Imagine if I were to have fabricated a jig based on the Linhof quarter plate holder and Seneca plate holders that I had used to cut the quarter plates I sent you. The plates would still not fit your holder.

2) Custom-cutting plates for each customer's holder is an unrealistic solution which would essentially double the costs of the plates and cause a logistical nightmare. I can't ask people to risk having their holders damaged or lost in the mail, nor is there a need for me to personally measure them when rulers, verniers, etc., are standardized and in wide-spread use.

The practical solution is to undersize the plates like I'm doing for 4x5, and the only question is by how much. In my judgement, I should dimension the plates the same as the Kodak film sheath or the Stanley dry plates, which the manufacturers of holders of the time would have ensured they could accept. That's the closest to a "jig" that I can reasonably get to.

I just need their measurements.

I also did a test-cut this morning of several 1/4" plates that I have on-hand, and determined I can trim off as little as 0.050" to salvage already coated plates.

Randy, it would be great if you could send me a mix of holders to measure. When you do, send your quarter plates back with and I'll fix them / replace them (depending on how much I would need to trim them).

-Jason

P.S. Randy, I swear you've had the worst luck with plates fitting. I'm sorry for that. I'm starting to think that if my plates fit the holders in your collection then they'll fit every holder in the world.
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 27-Jan-2018 at 10:42.

Thanks, Steven. That's great to share.

Emulsion Batch #6 is officially used up. Batch #7 is ripening now. It will set overnight and I will finish it up tomorrow. I stretched out the precipitation and ripening, so maybe it will be around ASA 4. I will know when I test.

Jason, another data point for you: this is for the wooden OEM plate holders supplied with a 1907 or thereabouts Sanderson Junior 1/4 plate:

Maximum aperture width is 83.3mm wide by 106.5mm; the film inserts are 82.5mm by 107.2mm and 1.6mm thick. A lot less 'hook under' for the outboard end of the plate, though there's about another mm (difficult to measure) wherein the insert (and presumably a plate) can be fitted. So the length could be up to about 108mm, I guess, but they wouldn't stay in the holders if they were shorter.

Neil

(imperial equivalents: 83.3mm = 3.27 inch, 106.5mm = 4.192 inch, 82.5mm = 3.248mm, 107.2mm = 4.22" (which makes me wonder about the size of 1/4 plate film).

Damnit, just realised I posted some 1/4 plate dimensions for you in the images thread (where you have the discussion with Randy Moe) rather than here where I should have... perhaps one of the moderators might like to move the post?

Neil

OK perhaps we need thread consolidation.

I am losing track of what is where.

We now have 4 threads for this topic. this thread which is not correct for discusion of size.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...well-all-sizes

Then to thread offering new plates for sale.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...riety-of-sizes

and 2 more threads where images belong.

I saw your measurements. Thank you for taking the time to do so.