Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FB Paper...suggestions?

FB Paper...suggestions?

Hey guys!
    I am new to the forum. I just purchased my first 4x5 camera (very excited) and need to purchase BW film and paper. I have always used Kodak or Agfa film, sometimes Ilford (don't like Ilford as much).

My biggest wonder is paper. My love was Agfa FB glossy--for mosty portraiture. I have tried different Ilfords and it wasn't the same as Agfa. Any suggestions? Bergger? Foma? Kentmere? Oriental? Varycon?

Are there any former Afga paper lovers who have found another type that they're happy with?

Re: FB Paper...suggestions?

Adox is the new Agfa. I suggest buying a number of likely suspects in packs of 25 8x10 (i.e. small quantities) from Freestyle and make a print of a common subject for you. Pick the one you like best. Don't forget to take it through toning. Some papers respond much more to toning than others.

Forte was the new Agfa. Polywarmtone was the bees knees of all papers. Adox (Fotoimpex) hope to bring it back.

Fomatone MG Classic is really nice, and today I've used some Ilford Warmtone which is a superb paper now it's on a whiter base.

After 20 years of only using Agfa papers (Record Rapid & then MCC) I'm not sure yet what to switch to once my Polywarmtone supply dwindles, however I'm not sure I'll go back to MCC, as I much prefer Polywarmtone. I have some 24"x20" Polywarmtone prints drying as I write and some smaller Fomatone & Ilford Warmtone prints as well.

|Ian

Thank you Ian and Jerold!
    ...I didn't realize until last night that you had posted comments...sorry for the tardy thanks. I am going to order paper tonight: Forte, Adox and I will retry Ilford Warmtone. Wish me luck!

Julie-Anna,

you probably already know this, but use negatives you've printed to your liking on the Agfa papers, and compare the new prints to the older ones if you have some to reference from. This will help to set a "standard" to go by when comparing older(and liked) prints to the new ones, for an accurate comparison.

-Dan

btw, after being away from enlarging for a while, I've really come to like the Ilford warmtone fiber paper, I never used the older variant(supposedly on a creamier base color-wise), the new stuff is just nuts-awesome. Balls-out bad ass paper IMO. Still have to try MCC(adox), lots of people have been raving about it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post

Fomatone MG Classic is really nice, and today I've used some Ilford Warmtone which is a superb paper now it's on a whiter base.

|Ian
    Ian, do you know when Ilford Warmtone switched to a whiter base? I am working my way through a three year old supply; would it be on the whiter base to which you refer?
    Thanks,
    Merg

Ilford Warmtone gloss for the last 15 years or for how long it has been in available.
    I like this paper very much, and have found it to be consistant, year in year out.
    Tones lovely in selenium

For slight sepia tone I like Ilford MG4, funny enough the matt surface is wickedly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Ian, do you know when Ilford Warmtone switched to a whiter base? I am working my way through a three year old supply; would it be on the whiter base to which you refer?
    Thanks,
    Merg
    Merg,

This information might be useful. It comes from an Ilford publication I recently received from Simon Galley at Harmon Technology (but no date given in it). It’s titled “Ilford Multigrade Papers, A Manual for the Darkroom.” Catalog #1927328. Here’s an excerpt:

OPTICAL BRIGHTENERS
    In other paper characteristics, Ilford continues to make progressive improvements to the Multigrade system. The optical brighteners that give Multigrade papers their brilliant, sparkling whites stay exactly where they are needed --- in the highlight areas of the print. All Multigrade papers, except Multigrade FB Warmtone, have anchored optical brighteners which means they won’t wash out and the paper stays white. With Multigrade FB Warmtone, the brighteners can be removed with extended washing for an even warmer base tint.

And, let's not forget: Forte paper is no more. Adox wants to bring Polywarmtone back; whether they can or will has yet to be seen. In the meantime, I'll second Ilford Warmtone.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Azo. Learn to make a perfect 4x5 contact print with a light bulb then you will know something worthy of respect.

Every time someone states they like brand X over Y - I cringe. As a good printer one should be able to accomplish the same look with any materials. So what you get is really a reflection of personal skill rather than the materials in my less than humble opinion & experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie-Anna View Post
    Hey guys!
    I am new to the forum. I just purchased my first 4x5 camera (very excited) and need to purchase BW film and paper. I have always used Kodak or Agfa film, sometimes Ilford (don't like Ilford as much).

My biggest wonder is paper. My love was Agfa FB glossy--for mosty portraiture. I have tried different Ilfords and it wasn't the same as Agfa. Any suggestions? Bergger? Foma? Kentmere? Oriental? Varycon?

Are there any former Afga paper lovers who have found another type that they're happy with?
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com