Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo prices...ridiculous

Thumbs down Jobo prices...ridiculous

Not sure how many of you are Jobo users-I have used the 1500 Series tanks for years for hand processing
    35 and 120. Now that I've gotten back into 4x5, I'm looking at the 2500 Series gear at various sources,
    such as Ebay, Freestyle etc...

Prices are nuts...especially for the used stuff...stained reels and used tanks going for big bucks.

I guess I may have to learn tray processing...worked for Ansel...maybe I'll even get the pyro-stained fingers.
    (kidding)

Re: Jobo prices...ridiculous

those are cheap compared to the 3000 series!
    I was lucky to get a whole bunch of 2500 series tanks when I bought my jobo.

I thought I priced my Jobo kit very competitively

You did indeed, Ed!

High ebay prices for old junky stuff? A good time to buy new while you still can. Be glad new Jobo stuff is still available.

After dealing with uneven negs, I cringed and bought my first Jobo 3010 drum, yeah....pricey. Then I looked at the film and was blown away by the difference. I now have 3 x 3010 drums, 2x 3063 drums and some 2500 series. One of the best investments I have made. Film is expensive but not as much blown shots I was really counting on after days in the field, money spent on gas, time away from my wife, etc.

Lots of people say LF is cheap. I disagree because considering the way I need the results to be consistent, I have found it to be fairly expensive. This is why 6x6 is still by far my favorite, most productive and most creative output.

Quote Originally Posted by CropDusterMan View Post
    Prices are nuts...especially for the used stuff...stained reels and used tanks going for big bucks.
    Alternatives such as a Beseler base and drum have worked for me for small runs, but patience is not one of my virtues, so I am re-investigating Jobo again and will check auction sold prices. An assuring fact is that Jobo equipment is well designed and I will not likely have to buy twice and parts are available.

Speaking of trays, are you (is anyone) familiar with the old Honeywell stainless steel rocking trays? They were originally intended for developing color prints using little chemistry. The downside is that one cannot shuffle films: it is a one-at-a-time thing

I'm trying to steer clear of trays as I have little experience with them (for souping film) and I use PMK Pyro...I've never had
    good dexterity with gloves during darkroom work, also, the higher agitation required for 4x5 and Pyro has me wondering
    how I would achieve good results with trays...(I realize many have before me, so feel free to chime in here with agitation advice if you have any-I'm always open to learn!
    Quite honestly, my 120/35mm manual agitation/processing with the Jobo 1500's has never let me down, hence the desire
    to stay with the familiar in a hand processed 2500 Series tank system.

I guess I'll have to pay.

I don't see the prices you're seeing

I got lucky and bought a Duolab with a bunch of tanks for 100 bucks, it will NOT take the wonderful 3000 series tanks. I use the 4x5 sheet film reels for the 2500 series tanks. I can process 12 sheets of e-6 in one shot. Regarding the nearly impossible task of loading the 4x5 reels. I use a toy IR night vision goggle to see in the Dark! Jakks Spynet night vision googles. These things are amazing. it has built in IR and NIR illuminators. I taped over the dim red NIR leds so I don't accidentally fog film.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spynet.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	130084

These things have never effected any e-6,c-41-or B&W obviously no IR film! You can focus them and you see everything on a small led screen, I can read "British Made" on my Hewes reels. I have lost some feeling in my fingers and this has really changed the game for me.

Now that film processing is something we can no longer take for granted this stuff is one of the only games in town, I use XTOL 1:1 with mostly TMAX, I am careful to make sure there is enough XTOL to do the job as with the low volumes I had a problem on one run.

Omer at Catlabs has been very helpful with spare parts and a new reel. This stuff is not cheap, but it works and it's the only game in town. The 3000 series tanks are amazing but out of my price range.

Good Luck, Mike