Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: email notification problem

email notification problem

In the previous version of the site, when you received an email notification of a reply to a thread you were watching,
    the email included the text of the reply, so you could read it without accessing the thread.

In the new version that text is no longer included, forcing the member to visit the thread to read the response.

This was obviously done to increase the site hit count, with the consequence of inconveniencing the members.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: email notification problem

Thanks for the comment, Leigh. It's something for us to look into.

On the flip side of that coin, however, is the number of people who didn't pay attention to the ****DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ******, and replied anyway, only sending an e-mail to the mods.

I agree with Leigh's comment. Getting a thread response that contains the post is very useful when traveling as I can read posts that I am interested in without having to try to read the post from the forum page on my tiny phone display.

Also, since the upgrade I have not received any notification about new posts in the 'For Sale' forum even though my setup and preferences still show that I am subscribed to that forum. Do I need to do anything on my end to resume getting notifications from 'For Sale'???

Thanks

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    I agree with Leigh's comment. Getting a thread response that contains the post is very useful when traveling as I can read posts that I am interested in without having to try to read the post from the forum page on my tiny phone display.

Also, since the upgrade I have not received any notification about new posts in the 'For Sale' forum even though my setup and preferences still show that I am subscribed to that forum. Do I need to do anything on my end to resume getting notifications from 'For Sale'???

Thanks

john
    Although your profile shows you to have "Instant e-mail notifications" (i.e. a separate new e-mail for each new thread), it is possible that you may need to delete existing subscriptions and re-subscribe. Similarly, some, but not all users have needed to manually clear their LFPF cookies to resolve login issues.

From the new FAQ:

How do I subscribe to a thread or forum?

To subscribe to a forum, click the 'Forum Tools' link above the list of threads then select 'Subscribe to Forum'. You will then have the option to choose the subscription mode for this forum. If the forum that you are subscribing to has any child forums (forums within a forum) then your subscription will be extended to these automatically.

To subscribe to a thread, click the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then choose the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    On the flip side of that coin, however, is the number of people who didn't pay attention to the ****DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ******, and replied anyway, only sending an e-mail to the mods.
    Hi Ralph,

The solution to that problem is to insert the following in your notification email header:

Reply To: deadletter @largeformatphotography.info without the space before the @ sign.*

Your email currently has no Reply To tag, so responses go to the From email address.

- Leigh

*note: I had to include the space so the da**ed parser would stop flagging it as an email address.
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Hi Ralph,

I did as you suggested. I unsubscribed from the for sale forum and then re-subscribed. Apparently no change as I'm still not getting emailing of new threads.

Thanks.

John

I'm with Leigh too. Getting the reply in text mode in your email notifications is a great feature.

Mike

I only get a daily mail with a summary of threads started in that forum.
    It is probably an option that the moderators have to enable to sent also instant email notification for a forum subscription.

Or it that an option that the moderators want disabled.

Regards.
    Mike

I think you can change that in your settings Mike.

It would be nice to know if the instant email notifications can contain the message posted with this version.

Mike

Ramiro,

But when I subscribe to the for sale/wanted forum, I can only choose between "trough your controlpanel", "daily updates by email" and "weekly updates by email".
    Other email notifications are instantly.

Mike