Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you need permit to shoot with a tripod in Paris?

Do you need permit to shoot with a tripod in Paris?

Just curious.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Do you need permit to shoot with a tripod in Paris?

No. Just don't try to use it in any of the museums, palaces or inside the more famous churches.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

In Paris don't know, but in Barcelona, where I live, it is forbidden to use a camera in direct or indirect contact with the ground without municipal permit.
    Xavier Deltell
    www.xavierdeltell.es

Hello from France !

The question of "tripod permits or not" in Paris is raised here from time to time.
    Andreas has given the best and quickest answer, congratulations!

Now if you want to go into the details, re-read this thread referenced below. To the best of my knowledge as of April 2012 nothing has changed regarding official regulations. The rule is: tripod allowed everywhere in the puiblic domain, provided that you do not block street or pedestrian traffic. But the rule has many exceptions for "some exceptional places" like Le Louvre gardens and inside all museums.

The thread starts with a question regrading taking pictures of "Villa Savoyee, a Parisian house designed by Le Corbusier.
    Architect's image rights on their buidlings are strictly respected in France and Belgium, so forget about Villa Savoye except if you are ready to by a really heavy fee to the organization managing Le Corbusier's heritage.

Another exception are the public gardens near Le Louvre Palace for which special regulations exist and tripod users are considered as professionals, hence need to register in advance and, in principle, have to pay a heavy fee as well. Only "students" showing their official student's ID card can use a tripod for free in his place
    But do not try to argue with the guards. For example, it is useless to argue about the fact that zillions of tourists take pictures inside the Louvre gardens and even inside the museum itself, with their hand-held point 'n' shoot camera, so that "in comparison a single on-tripod image by an eccentric can do no harm."

In most other places downtown Paris, simply follow the good advice by Andreas and everything will go smoothly.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=paris+tripod

French regulations on photographic permits can change back and forth.
    For example inside the Arc-et-Senans XVIII-st century Salt Works by Claude Nicolas Ledoux (this is located in Franche Comté near where I live), for many years photography inside the monument was strictly prohibited. Streng verboten ! As they say on the other side of the Rhine river.

Of course, zillions of pictures of this Arc-et-Senans superb monument listed on the World Unesco Heritage freely circulate on the web .. Nonsense ! But do not try to argue.

Then one day we tried to organize a friendly LF gathering there, we asked for regulations, and surprise !!! The new director explained us that they had decided to allow free photography including on-tripod. So we enjoyed the place and unfolded as many tripods as we could.

But the last time I raised the question of Arc et Senans photo & tripod permits to a local LF friend, I was told that prohibiting photography was the new rule back again ...
    The attached file was taken by a friend when we could freely take pictures on tripod inside the Arc et Senans monument. I have no idea whether I can show it or not now, I take the risk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reunion_1.jpg  

You need a building release form to shoot buildings in Paris (whole of France?). A friend who photographs for the A10 magazine got taken by the police for not having one.
    Correct me if I am wrong. Any members who actually live in Paris?

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Pybus View Post
    You need a building release form to shoot buildings in Paris (whole of France?).
    Surely that's for publishing the picture, not the taking of it?

Steve.

True, he was going to publish it in the A10 magazine. But I guess the police considered him professional and thus publishing implied. I don't know which building he was trying to photograph, maybe one from the list of buildings Emmanuel Bigler mentioned. It's obviously a bit more complicated than I thought ...

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Surely that's for publishing the picture, not the taking of it?

Steve.
    Last edited by Adrian Pybus; 4-Apr-2012 at 15:04. Reason: Incomplete sentence
    Perfection is a moving target.

Thanks for the in-depth on the spot answer. I was first going to say clarification but that is perhaps not the best description considering the different and shifting rules
    It's good to hear that one can photograph most buildings. About ten years ago I was in Paris and I loved the city but would never go on holiday in a Photography verbotten location.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France !

The question of "tripod permits or not" in Paris is raised here from time to time.
    Andreas has given the best and quickest answer, congratulations!

Now if you want to go into the details, re-read this thread referenced below. To the best of my knowledge as of April 2012 nothing has changed regarding official regulations. The rule is: tripod allowed everywhere in the puiblic domain, provided that you do not block street or pedestrian traffic. But the rule has many exceptions for "some exceptional places" like Le Louvre gardens and inside all museums.

The thread starts with a question regrading taking pictures of "Villa Savoyee, a Parisian house designed by Le Corbusier.
    Architect's image rights on their buidlings are strictly respected in France and Belgium, so forget about Villa Savoye except if you are ready to by a really heavy fee to the organization managing Le Corbusier's heritage.

Another exception are the public gardens near Le Louvre Palace for which special regulations exist and tripod users are considered as professionals, hence need to register in advance and, in principle, have to pay a heavy fee as well. Only "students" showing their official student's ID card can use a tripod for free in his place
    But do not try to argue with the guards. For example, it is useless to argue about the fact that zillions of tourists take pictures inside the Louvre gardens and even inside the museum itself, with their hand-held point 'n' shoot camera, so that "in comparison a single on-tripod image by an eccentric can do no harm."

In most other places downtown Paris, simply follow the good advice by Andreas and everything will go smoothly.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=paris+tripod

French regulations on photographic permits can change back and forth.
    For example inside the Arc-et-Senans XVIII-st century Salt Works by Claude Nicolas Ledoux (this is located in Franche Comté near where I live), for many years photography inside the monument was strictly prohibited. Streng verboten ! As they say on the other side of the Rhine river.

Of course, zillions of pictures of this Arc-et-Senans superb monument listed on the World Unesco Heritage freely circulate on the web .. Nonsense ! But do not try to argue.

Then one day we tried to organize a friendly LF gathering there, we asked for regulations, and surprise !!! The new director explained us that they had decided to allow free photography including on-tripod. So we enjoyed the place and unfolded as many tripods as we could.

But the last time I raised the question of Arc et Senans photo & tripod permits to a local LF friend, I was told that prohibiting photography was the new rule back again ...
    The attached file was taken by a friend when we could freely take pictures on tripod inside the Arc et Senans monument. I have no idea whether I can show it or not now, I take the risk
    Perfection is a moving target.

Police will hassle you in many public parks as well, especially if you are seen on the grass in some parks.
    They will ask what you are doing, who you are, etc.
    Best to be polite and say "Oui, Monsieur" a lot.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

I live about 2 1/2 hours south of Paris (by TGV - actually close to Bordeaux) and visit about five times each year. Photographing with a tripod has never been a problem for me, but I'm a great bullsh*tter and have a slew of international press passes that I deftly whip out during my blabbing and forgiveness asking. Then, changing the subject, I discuss the weather and complain that the light isn't good for photographing anyway. . . I am usually laughed at then and left alone.

Sometimes I must show the image on the ground glass, one gendarme will stand in front of the camera with the other watching the confusing backwards movement, etc.. . . In other words, the trick is to be nice, apologise as much as possible, try not to seem too touristic, throw out your best few French words and keep agreeing. . . then change the subject. The police or gendarmes don't especially want the trouble of having to bother you but it's their job. Give them a reason to laugh and then leave you alone. That way they've done their job and can continue on their way.

I believe it's only not worked once out of the four or five times I've actually been approached.

By the way - I'm American, so my French accent is less than perfect (HA!). I receive no special favours, but my press pass from the ESDPA/APESD does help. If you want to shoot in Paris contact Joseph at the ESDPA, tell him you're a local budding journalist in your hometown and want to join the association ;-) then you will have some ammunition when the French (or other European) police need to fill their quota of tourist bothering.
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?