Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small, pocket-sized averaging light meter - suggestions?

Small, pocket-sized averaging light meter - suggestions?

I am looking for a small, compact, and lightweight averaging meter for casual 35mm shooting. I just broke my current one that I got for free, a Weston Master II meter. It worked really well too.

I want one of those totally battery-free meters that are simple and easy. I am doing a lot of "fun" shooting that a simple average of the scene is good enough. I am also casually looking for a Pentax Spotmeter for "real" (4x5) shots but I don't need anything that heavy duty for the 35mm stuff.

I see another Weston on ebay for $5, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any better recommendations. It was a little bulky and heavy for what it did. But if that's the best option, I will just grab that.

Thanks!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Small, pocket-sized averaging light meter - suggestions?

If you don't want batteries in the meter, you are limited to a meter with a photovoltaic cell, such as a selenium cell. These will be very old at this point, and many will be dead. One of the more recent models (from the 1960s) is the Sekonic Model 86, which is one I can think of that is more compact than a Weston Master.

But really, a meter with a Cadmium Sulfide cell (CdS) will not consume power when the cell is covered, and the batteries in mine last a very long time. Just get one that does not require the 1.3V mercury batteries (as does, for example, the Gossen Luna Pro). One cheapie from the 70's that is compact and that works very well is the Vivitar Model 43.

Rick "who has seen lots of selenium meters that make no reading at all" Denney

What about a Gossen Digisix? You can get one brand new at Adorama for $149.89. They do take batteries but are tiny and do incident and reflective metering.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I'm being a masochist and wanting to have no dependence on batteries or digital things (kind of liberating!!).

I will look at cds meters though. They seem to be kind of expensive for what they are (10-20 year old).

Alan, I would love a Digisix but I don't really want to sink that much money into it. I am hoping to pick up the Pentax Spotmeter for around that much.

Yeah, I don't blame you. I considered getting one for my Stereo Realist. It would be nice but I just bring my Pentax Spotmeter with me.

You should easily be able to get a used Spotmeter V for around that. The digital one gets pricey!

Here's a Sekonic Model 86 that fully meets your specification for $25. There were several others on ebay.

Ebay ad

Rick "who has no connection to the seller" Denney

I picked up a General Electric DW58 that came bundled with my first Meridian several years ago. Modern selenium-cell meter c.1947 (that is to say, having the modern ASA/ISO settings dial). Battery-free and still works like a charm, accurate for reflected light meter readings from sunrise to sunset. Provides all the accuracy you'll likely need for negative films. Form factor reminiscent of a Remington electric razor:
    http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meter...s/ge_dw58.html
    (also a fairly extensive list of other vintage meters to peruse in sidebar at the above link)

Thanks for the further suggestions of those models, I am perusing my options on ebay now. There are so many different models of these old things I'm not really sure what to look for (it's kind of funny to think I'm out shooting with a whole setup that is over twice my age ).

Good selenium meters can last for a lifetime - I own two Norwoods which are still working perfectly. Contrary to all legends selenium cells do not fail due to some kind of inevitable cell depletion, but succumb to corrosion. How long they survive really depends on the long-term quality of the cell seals, but even meters with low grade sealing may last for quite a time when stored dry and dark.

And battery-free meters need not be old. The last selenium meter, the Weston Euro-Master II, was available new up until maybe two or three years ago, the Sekonic L-398M (more pocketable than a Weston with attached Invercone, so you should not disregard it by size) was made into the mid 2000's, and its battery-free silicone cell successor, the L-398A, still is in production.
    Last edited by Sevo; 30-Jul-2011 at 01:54.

You should be able to get a later version Gossen Profisix or Luna Pro with the selenium cell for less than £60-£80. They take the common 9v battery. Incident and reflected readings (a bulky spot attachment does exist). A bit bulkier than the Weston, but very accurate and suitable also for large format work with zone markings. Best to bone up on the model range from the Gossen web-site (I believe they still cover these antique models). Otherwise, another vote for the small Digisix, accurate enough for 'casual' readings that the OP wants, and decent battery life.