Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Chamonix lens board hole off center?

Re: Why is the Chamonix lens board hole off center?

Linhof had to put the hole in their lensboard low to center the lens fairly close to the center of the ground glass. This occurred because they raised the position of the front standard when they stacked three front tracks to allow for triple bellows extension without increasing the height of the camera body.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

That's great. Make sure you get the front and rear standards as close together as you can. That will make for a smaller light-point on the groundglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Linhof had to put the hole in their lensboard low to center the lens fairly close to the center of the ground glass. This occurred because they raised the position of the front standard when they stacked three front tracks to allow for triple bellows extension without increasing the height of the camera body.
    That might work great on Linhof cameras, but maybe not on others. Best to test.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That might work great on Linhof cameras, but maybe not on others. Best to test.
    Yes. On my Nagaoka 4x5 it needs to be centered, which can be done by using the front rise (If I don't forget to do it).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Photographer

I think worrying about a centered hole vs lowered hole (except on a Linhof) is a clear sign of OCD. Just adjust the front standard to the composition you need.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I think worrying about a centered hole vs lowered hole (except on a Linhof) is a clear sign of OCD. Just adjust the front standard to the composition you need.
    Easily done if your IC is not 155mm.
    Last edited by xkaes; 14-Jul-2017 at 05:11.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Easily done if you IC is not 155mm.
    Surely most cameras have enough movement to compensate for the slight offset. I use both on my chamonix and even with small image circle lenses, I can raise or lower the standard as needed to center the image circle over the film

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    Surely most cameras have enough movement to compensate for the slight offset. I use both on my chamonix and even with small image circle lenses, I can raise or lower the standard as needed to center the image circle over the film
    You obviously haven't used a Schneider 47mm f5.6 XL.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    LOL! Yes, that's me!

... and I'm anal, too!

Being born a Virgo has been a real pain...
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 14-Jul-2017 at 18:02. Reason: Cleaning up my prose.

The real question here is: Do the Chamonix cameras require a lensboard with an offset hole in order for the lens to be centered on the film? If so, that explains why they have lensboards with offset holes as default. If not, then it would appear to be a design flaw. No one seems to have looked at their Chamonix camera and determined where center should be yet...

As an aside, I've always thought that the ideal camera design would incorporate a square lensboard that had a mounting hole intentionally offset from center. It would be able to be mounted in all four orientations so that the offset could add a little extra distance to the rise, fall and shifts in both directions. Centering would be accomplished by shifting a bit in the opposite direction of the offset. I modified my Woodman camera a bit to allow mounting Technika boards upside-down to get extra rise; it was a real help at times. Can the Technika boards be mounted upside-down on the Chamonix cameras?

Best,

Doremus