Thread: Fun with photography

Fun with photography

Hi All

We just finished Culture Day weekend here in Canada and my facility hosted MAC my old assistant from 14 years ago to do two days of free portraits combining
    a digital camera synched to a small printer, and my 114year old camera with 480mm lens .

https://goo.gl/photos/fsYTE9yyuje6ZRhP7

Mac photographed over 70 people off the street and as you can see there was a lot of interest by the children looking at this big Camera and playing with Mac to get their photograph.

We were sponsored by Henrys Ltd, one of Canada's largest camera company, they donated printers lights connectors and digital camera to make this happen. We will do this again as
    it was a positive experience for everyone involved and it was particularly fun for me to see my old camera work with a modern camera .

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Fun with photography

Hi Bob,

That does look like it was a lot of fun. A year or two back I suggested the SF Bay Large Format meetup group to meetup for a Sunday picnic along the Lake Merritt shoreline in Oakland - the nation's first wildlife refuge - to practice taking portraits of passersbys from a spacious and scenic archway along the very popular trail that runs along the shoreline. A band would even been playing in the adjacent area outside. No interest in something like that over here.

It looks like you had a 5x7 or 8x10 back on the 11x14 and the photo's look like 4x6. Did you shoot with the digital camera through the 11x14?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Hi Bob,

That does look like it was a lot of fun. A year or two back I suggested the SF Bay Large Format meetup group to meetup for a Sunday picnic along the Lake Merritt shoreline in Oakland - the nation's first wildlife refuge - to practice taking portraits of passersbys from a spacious and scenic archway along the very popular trail that runs along the shoreline. A band would even been playing in the adjacent area outside. No interest in something like that over here.

It looks like you had a 5x7 or 8x10 back on the 11x14 and the photo's look like 4x6. Did you shoot with the digital camera through the 11x14?

Thomas
    8 x10 camera used to focus on ground glass then he shot the ground glass with a digital camera that was linked to a small printer.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    8 x10 camera used to focus on ground glass then he shot the ground glass with a digital camera that was linked to a small printer.
    Yay! breaking the rule! "dont make pictures of the ground glass!" they say.
    I made a fun picture of the ground glass once and I am glad to see you put it to good use as well.

Was anyone able to find time to pull a few negatives or plates?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

A good ice breaker and a quick way to fill the window.

Now watch this idea spread...
    Tin Can

Last week I had my 8x10 set up in front of a church in New Mexico. A boy, his grand dad and a middle aged guy became curious. So I threw the dark cloth over the back and invited each for a look. Oos and Ahhs resulted. The boy exclaimed, "it looks better than digital!"

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Interesting, Bob. I've never thought of doing that before.

But . . . but, but wouldn't the pictures of the GG be upside down???