Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are G Claron lenses interchangeable with the same shutter?

Re: Are G Claron lenses interchangeable with the same shutter?

A plasmat has six elements in four groups. The outer two groups are cemented doublets, the inner group is a singlet. A dagor type has six elements in two groups. Each group is a cemented triplet.

To tell whether a lens is a plasmat type or a dagor type, take a single cell, shine a point source of light into it and count reflections. A plasmat cell will have four strong reflections, one from each of the four air-glass interfaces, and one weak reflection, from the glass-cement-glass interface. Weak reflections are often hard to see. A dagor cell will have two strong reflections and two weak ones. Again, the weak reflections can be hard to see.

In the G-Claron line, dagor types (serial number probably < 12,000,000) were replaced by plasmat types (s/n probably >= 12,000,000) in the early 1970s. There's considerable doubt about where the s/n break is. Count reflections unless the s/n is > 13,000,000.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for all the info on this.

What's the difference between a plasmat and dagor type g claron and how can I tell which type my 210 is?

Thanks
    Search the threads

You might find this thread I started useful, comparing Dagor and Plasmat versions of the 305mm:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-Cell-Spacing

But Dan pretty much gave you the rundown.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    A plasmat has six elements in four groups. The outer two groups are cemented doublets, the inner group is a singlet. A dagor type has six elements in two groups. Each group is a cemented triplet.

To tell whether a lens is a plasmat type or a dagor type, take a single cell, shine a point source of light into it and count reflections. A plasmat cell will have four strong reflections, one from each of the four air-glass interfaces, and one weak reflection, from the glass-cement-glass interface. Weak reflections are often hard to see. A dagor cell will have two strong reflections and two weak ones. Again, the weak reflections can be hard to see.

In the G-Claron line, dagor types (serial number probably < 12,000,000) were replaced by plasmat types (s/n probably >= 12,000,000) in the early 1970s. There's considerable doubt about where the s/n break is. Count reflections unless the s/n is > 13,000,000.
    Thanks for the great info Dan, no need to search any threads with concise details such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Just curious, what is a six element in six group lens called -- a Fujimat or a Fujigor?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for the great info Dan, no need to search any threads with concise details such as this.
    Danny, I'm all for solidarity among Dans, but on the whole you'd be better off if you searched. This forum's search function isn't very good, use Google advanced search. Instructions can be found via http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses.

To add insult to insult, you've been asking questions that you should have been able to answer for yourself. The link I posted above will take you to a list of useful links that will make it easier for you to help yourself. Remember, LF helps those who help themselves.

Dan, this is probably a stupid question, but I've never figured out how to get it to search on more than one word. For instance, how do I do a search for say "DeVere Enlargers" or "12" Dagor", etc. I looked in the link above, but could not find any answers. Thanks, L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Dan, this is probably a stupid question, but I've never figured out how to get it to search on more than one word. For instance, how do I do a search for say "DeVere Enlargers" or "12" Dagor", etc. I looked in the link above, but could not find any answers. Thanks, L
    Fair question, Luis. Look under "Web sites/Forums:"

I think perhaps I'll add a section "Searching in web sites/forums:" Do you think that would be easier to find?

Cheers,

Dan

Is "Websites/Forums" under Forums on this website? If you could post a link as to where to look that would be wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Is "Websites/Forums" under Forums on this website? If you could post a link as to where to look that would be wonderful!
    I'm sorry, we've confused each other. I was referring to the list mentioned in the first post in this http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses discussion. Go there, click the link in the first post. This will take you to a pdf with a mountain of bookmarks on its left. Click the bookmark "Web sites/Forums:"

I've checked the list. It has a bookmark "Searching in web sites:" It will do too.

I noticed that the bookmarks don't show when I read the list with a browser, e.g., MS Edge or Firefox. To get most benefit from the list, download it and open it with a pdf reader or tell your browser to open it with a pdf reader.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 7-Nov-2017 at 19:34.