Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Re: Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stoddard View Post
    The best part of this gathering has yet to come and my surprise for everyone will throw most if not all for a loop with that said please confirm for this it would be greatly appreciated!

Ted
    We'll have no problem filling the spaces once we disclose the surprise Ted magically pulled out of a hat. We could host 20 people, but we may just make things more luxurious and have only 6 per house. So if you want to come and partake in what we hope will be remembered as a classic shoot for a long time to come, those who have not confirmed better do so. I'm arranging for parking close to the dunes where we'll photograph so heavier cameras can be carried. Hopefully the distance to carry a camera to a pristine spot might be as little as 200 yards. I need to do more checking with some locals, but the distance will be close and not much more than that, unless for some reason a tornado of garbage is dropped from the sky!

Try to arrive by noon Friday. I'll be posting the address of the meeting house. I might set up still life and even a model for that afternoon. Then sunset shots at approx 4:15
    and after that dinner and print display. We have such a surprise for you that you will be saluting Ted for a long time to come. Until the thing happens, we don't want to jinx anything.

Also if we go north the monarch butterflies might still be there in two weeks. They're there right now! So some might consider some color film too!

Top shoot the Dunes will be best dawn on the 25th and 26th or sunset 24th or 25th or 26th. With good fortune, we'll have a wonderful exposure to printing by Jim Fitzgerald for those who are with us Sunday afternoon.

Check out from the rented houses and meeting headquarters will be 5pm on Sunday.

Asher

We're always open to any added suggestions for improvements!

I will be there and I hope to stay at the house thanx craig

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    I will be there and I hope to stay at the house thanx craig
    Thanks Craig,

PM me if you have any guidance or needs.

Asher

Hello all,

I'm appreciative of the guidance given by Ted Stoddard, Bob Fitzgerald, Matt Blais and Robert Oliver in putting together a program that promises to be both a fitting memorial to a distinguished teacher, friend and guide to many here as well as a great meeting to make new friends and meet new ones.

I'll post the program as soon as we've gotten feedback from other photographers. So far we have 17 participants.

Highlights

• Sunset and Dawn shoots in the dunes
    • Still Life sets
    • Model
    • Dinners, Barbecue
    • Print exhibits, exchange and sale
    • Carbon Print presentation
    • Weston pictures
    • Carbon print work shop visit too!

We still have room for a few more, but you'd better hurry.

You can camp, (Pacific Dunes Ranch, 1205 Silver Spur Place, Oceana, CA 93452) or we'll put you up nicely for $36/ night at the meeting headquarters! ($48 returnable security deposit so we don't trash the place).

Those confirmed, no matter where you are staying, will receive a request for payment for the food, barbecue and dinners. It will be a modest sum, I promise. We're working in zero cash scrimp and save mode, but we'll eat and drink well. Well at least as good as Robin Hood but minus the venison!

What to do now:

• Prepare your LF camera, film, scanning back, MF or whatever you wish.
    • Bring some extra 4x5 film loaded into cassettes for still life and model shoot with cameras set up with PS 945 and Visual Quality lenses etc.
    • Be prepared to trek at least 200 yards with your gear, but you can keep going until you reach the Pacific Ocean, LOL!
    • Bring compressed air and soft brush to blow off and clean, your gear afterwards.
    • Send me ASAP, editor.opfATmac.com, (replace AT with @, of course) files, up to 20 MB, per email, or else send any size via http://www.yousendit.com) of pics of Per Volquartz with, (if you wish a greeting and date). I'll assemble and print it large. Bring prints of Per too! We'll use everything!
    • Prepare your favorite prints for display with discussion/feedback
    • Sets of prints, 4x5, 8x10 or so or whatever size you wish for exchange or sale.
    • Gear that you might want to give away, exchange or sell
    • Brochures for any LF/ alternative process workshop/shoot you may be scheduling.

Thanks everyone for the replies and support!

Asher

Saratoga, CA

I'm going to stay at PD Ranch but have never been there. Those that have, is there an area/loop on the ranch that you would recommend?
    Thanks,

Gale

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    I'm going to stay at PD Ranch but have never been there. Those that have, is there an area/loop on the ranch that you would recommend?
    Thanks,

Gale
    Hi Gale,

I'll send you a high resolution satellite map of the layout. I spoke to the manager, and they seem to have a lot of space. I'd pick a place to the southeast border with the dunes. However, Robert Oliver would be able to say more precisely how far down you should be. You literally should be a hop, skip and a jump from magnificent views.

I already have permission for us to come to the dunes through the RV park, so you are in just the best place!

Looks like your trailer will be a substation for beer!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Hi Gale,

I'd pick a place to the southeast border with the dunes.
    Error! I meant S. Western border! The S.E. connects to more cars and farms, LOL!

Asher

Saratoga, CA

I just made reservations for Thursday through Sunday night. The bad news is the reservation service they use doesn't let you pick your space, I requested something in the southwest corner so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    I'm camping in a full size Ford van and the space is for a motor home 32' or less so if there is someone who would like to share the space, let me know.

Mr.Gale

Re: Reception shoot for everyone and $30/45 minutes time-share nude figure option!

Reception and shoot when you arrive! On friday afternoon, we'll have a dressed model and still life ready to shoot. You just need a 4x5 film cassette loaded and you can slip it in a camera already fitted with a great lens, perhaps a PS945 Cooke or a P&S Visual Quality, all being well, or you can bring your own camera or any kind, even digital or your cell phone. Matt Blais will be presenting Per Volquartz pre-exposure method for decreasing dynamic range and also for toning the highlights. This welcoming program, allows folk to chat, rekindle relationships over wine and also do some interesting photography they normally wouldn't do. You don't even need to set up your camera, LOL!

Nude Model Shooting Opportunity on a time share or individual basis: Also, thanks to Matt, I have booked a great figure model for the weekend. Here's the plan. 3 share 45 minutes exclusively then in the 15 minutes the model rests, up to 3 new cameras set up, by appointment. This would be $30 per photographer. Now if it's going to be just 2 that agree to share, then that hour would be $45/photographer. If you wish to book one hour, then we have to widen her schedule. So I need to know in advance. Having her go to the dunes is possible but then we'd have to have a chaperone and book an hour, (i.e. 45 minutes) and the charge would be $100 as it is not then possible to arrange for another group to follow easily.

So far the model shoot is Saturday Afternoon. However, we can also do this on Friday if there are enough requests. In addition, if there's a lot of interest we can get two or more models.
    We do this so that you are not looking around the dunes for most of the time the sun is high and the light too harsh. Of course we'll provide shade for the model and still-life setups.

So everyone, please email us your plans for participating in the figure photography studio sessions:

Will you want to book at $30 a 45 minutes photography session Saturday afternoon after Jim Fitzgerald's presentation on Carbon & Platinum printing and the talk on Weston? I must know, as we may need expand the shoot with more figure models or more times, for example, on Friday and Sunday too. Do you need time photographing one on one? That's easy. If so tell me your needs . The model is fine, very experienced and able to pose well. I have no doubt that you will be more than happy with your work.

Here we do need everyone's help to serve everyone well.

So, please, everyone contact me and let us know whether or not you'll use the model. It's a must!! editor.OPFATmac.com (replace AT with @) Even if it's no, that helps us estimate our needs.

All fees will be paid in advance for the Workshop. The address of the headquarters, registration, presentations, photography print display, exchange, sale and gear exchange will be sent to you privately so that we have security.

Asher

This sounds like it will be a fun weekend. I am chatting with my wife about potentially staying longer (sat to sun). I am limited with my communication right now. I am still deployed to Spain but should be home by this weekend.

David