Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

Re: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

I've been on a spree and while I keep thinking about an actual camera backpack
    doesn't seem they hold all that much

In my average adidas backpack I can carry a tachihara, 6 lenses not size/weight optimized in two fishpond reel cases
    as many film holders as I dare in a case with notebook etc, large spot meter, filters, water, small snacks, darkcloth etc, superzoom digital, a LW jacket if I need to strip

I can hike anywhere I've been with it

Are these photo backpacks just money pits to look the part or do they actually do something
    honestly

it seems theyre huge ass packs that don't carry all that much unless you get an even bigger one
    and they look awfully rigid and uncomfortable though I'm sure some are better than others

The primary advantage of a photo backpack is the padding and on some the built in padded compartments for different sized gear.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

are any truly comfortable? I can hike with my fully stuffed adidas feeling assured and while I won't say it's comfortable
    I don't mind at all
    It's a lump but it more or less conforms
    and I can probably take the same or even more stuff

these look very rigid
    I may as well take some straps and attach the pelican case to my back

I use a Kelty RW 3100 from PBP. It is outfitted with a custom camera box by PBP (4x5 Phillips and two lenses) plus a Gnass lens holder (three lenses) and I have to say that it has decent lumbar support and is comfortable for many miles a day. I bought it to hike into Havasu Falls a few years ago and have used it for every outing since-I retired all my other LF camera cases. It works fine IMHO. I have one permanently dislocated shoulder (my injury is identical to this) that will not bear much weight for very long so good lumbar support extends my range considerably.

Most importantly it helps keep your gear organized and handy and is quick to work out of.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 25-Apr-2012 at 19:07.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    The primary advantage of a photo backpack is the padding and on some the built in padded compartments for different sized gear.
    this is also their disadvantage. E.g Crumpler - great backpacks, decent suspension.. But you haul so much foam, its just scary..

Well my choose is Kata DR-4something (the one with the laptop compartment) or the Think Tank Shape Shifter :

I use them for Toyo 45a with a 210 symmar XL and a 90 angular lens , canon 580 flash, light meter,lupa and deferent small stuff.
    I place around 8-10 film holders in the laptop compartment . And to the shape Shifter i can also fit a canon 5d with 50 or 35 attached.
    But i just hate hiking like this, hate hikin with a backpack , but for a person who loves backpacks they are just great .

I just noticed that I asked about the LowePro Flipside packs earlier in this thread. Now that the discussion is active again, I wanted to post an update. I'm now using the Flipside 400AW for most of my work. It'll easily fit a Technika (with one lens inside) and 4-5 extra lenses, 10 holders, darkcloth, meter, loupe, etc. You could fit more holders in the outer pocket if needed, I've done this on occasion.

It's a great pack. It may not be as serious as some of the hiking packs, but it's perfect for urban work or light hiking. I've worn it for all-day shoots walking around cities, taking mass transit, etc. And it's just about perfect. It comes in non-flashy colors, mine is dark green and black. And it is priced right in my opinion.

It has a tripod strap but I've never tried it. I use a Gitzo 3-series tripod and carry it in a tripod bag.

The best feature, as I've stated before, is that the zipper flap is against your back. This means your stuff won't fall out in the event of a zipper failure (or if you forget to zip it), it's somewhat tougher for someone to pilfer your gear on the subway, and if you put it down in the dirt, the part that goes against your back stays clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mumba1web.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    I just noticed that I asked about the LowePro Flipside packs earlier in this thread. Now that the discussion is active again, I wanted to post an update. I'm now using the Flipside 400AW for most of my work. It'll easily fit a Technika (with one lens inside) and 4-5 extra lenses, 10 holders, darkcloth, meter, loupe, etc. You could fit more holders in the outer pocket if needed, I've done this on occasion.

It's a great pack. It may not be as serious as some of the hiking packs, but it's perfect for urban work or light hiking. I've worn it for all-day shoots walking around cities, taking mass transit, etc. And it's just about perfect. It comes in non-flashy colors, mine is dark green and black. And it is priced right in my opinion.

It has a tripod strap but I've never tried it. I use a Gitzo 3-series tripod and carry it in a tripod bag.

The best feature, as I've stated before, is that the zipper flap is against your back. This means your stuff won't fall out in the event of a zipper failure (or if you forget to zip it), it's somewhat tougher for someone to pilfer your gear on the subway, and if you put it down in the dirt, the part that goes against your back stays clean.
    that looks like a very nice bag . do you carry the film holders inside or in separate bag/pouches?

Also a very nice bag if you not doing a long hike's you can get think tank retrospective that feet's all the equipment nicely and aslo in the divided pockets you can feet like 4-5 film holder in each .

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post

I use the same bag with my Wista; it is light and compact, and I do use the tripod bag to carry my Feisol.