Thread: Vintage Brass Lenses

Vintage Brass Lenses

I have been looking at old brass lenses lately . . .the ones that used to go for <$20 at the camera shows in the ‘80s and’90s. Now I am interested and have a few questions.

What is the difference between a “landscape” lens and a “portrate”l ens?
    Can a Petzval lens be either or both?
    Is there a difference between a camera lens and a magic lantern lens in this era of photography (1860-1890)?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Vintage Brass Lenses

Strictly speaking, a "Landscape Lens" is a simple meniscus lens. William Wollaston's camear obscura Landscape Lens of about 1812 was the first, predating photography, and was used on the very earliest photographic cameras. Later Landscape lenses were cemented double-element achromats (you need add a negative lens to make an achromat), like Scovill's Waterbury Lens or Dalot Single View. Landscape lenses need to be used at fairly small apertures, f/16 or less, to make a conventionally sharp image. Wider apertures give a soft focus effect. The Kodak Portrait Lens and Imagon are teachnically "Landscape Lenses", even though they were made specifically for portraiture.

"Portrait Lens" is a term tham evolved along with the technical needs and aesthetics of photography. At first it meant a fast lens (about f/5 or faster) so the subjects didn't have to sit still too long. Later, it became synonymous with being a softy lens that minimized skin flaws and added a glow. Today it just means a semi-fast lens (for shallow depth of field, not speed), and an appropriate focal length.

The front element of a Petzval is a cemented doublet and can be used by itself as a landscape lens.

People argue whether there's a difference in quality between Magic Lantern lenses and camera lenses. In using good quality lenses, I haven't seen any, but there were also some very cheap Magic Lantern lenses that were pretty poor quality. Camera lenses had methods of aperture control, (Waterhouse stops, rotary stops, irises...) except for the very earliest lenses.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks for this truely informative reply.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

does a cc harrison lens have any value i have one it has a 6873 number on it and unable to fine info or what type of camer it was on

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by ntsmith69 View Post
    does a cc harrison lens have any value i have one it has a 6873 number on it and unable to fine info or what type of camer it was on
    Yes, your CC Harrison lens has a substantial value, and yes people here will make you an offer if you can get a picture (or 3, or 4) posted. We have collectors of early American lenses, and others like myself just like shooting with really old lenses.

i have trying to ge pics on but for some reason it wont allow me,,now did the cc harrison lens were they put on scovill cameras or obscuras lol

Quote Originally Posted by ntsmith69 View Post
    i have trying to ge pics on but for some reason it wont allow me,,now did the cc harrison lens were they put on scovill cameras or obscuras lol
    If you Google for cc harrison lens the first hit will likely tell you all you wish to know,
    except current value which should not be discussed here. Best wait a month, do your
    research and put it to the For Sale group.

Learn about Petzval Lenses here: http://antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html also includes info on CC Harrison and his lenses.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html