Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boots

Drew Wiley

Re: Boots

Look like the Redwings I wear in lieu of shoes, or for simple walks on graded trails. Certainly not for real hiking with a heavy pack. Our local Redwing store is in a bad part of Oakland. They keep the door locked and you have to ring the doorbell to get in; but they have all the good stuff in stock. The Chinese clones, even sold by Redwing, don't last 10% as long, and can't be resoled either.

Red Wing is close to my heart because they are just a bit North of me on the Mississippi River. I did their first electronic catalog and employee training manual, too, long ago. I'm set for boots for the rest of my life.

I just found out the Timberlands that I have on now, that served me so well through those winters of wood cutting for my very survival those 4 years, are made in the Dominican Republic. As I look down, they look awful, but are nowhere near worn out. But they sure do trample in with mud clumps that shrink out of the tread overnight and end up as little clods all over the house next day. Thanks for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    But they sure do trample in with mud clumps that shrink out of the tread overnight and end up as little clods all over the house next day. Thanks for all the tips.
    You must not be married. My wife insists that I take my shoes off upon entering the house. I admit that it does keep the house a lot cleaner. Keep the boots and buy a comfortable pair of slippers for inside!

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    But they sure do trample in with mud clumps that shrink out of the tread overnight and end up as little clods all over the house next day. Thanks for all the tips.
    That's why a proper rural home has a mud room and utility sink to wash off the boots. A shower would be a plus. Ours had that and a clothes washer and dryer, and a small fridge for beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That's why a proper rural home has a mud room and utility sink to wash off the boots. A shower would be a plus. Ours had that and a clothes washer and dryer, and a small fridge for beer.
    Gotta have the beer!

Vasque Summit... heavy backpackers for the mountains. Northface gortex low hikers for in town hikes.

Keen Targhee II or Merrill Moab - waterproof hightop for general hiking.
    I have slightly wider flat feet so these brands are comfortable to me.

Korkers boots with swappable soles for fly fishing and wading, comfortable for short hikes to/in streams. Can be worn over waders or neoprene socks.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography