Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ringflash suggestions??

ringflash suggestions??

okay..with the help of german ebay... I got this crazy cambo made 4x5 'hand camera' that uses a 240 lens and focuses at 5'

I got a lens for it.. I got a measuring tape... but, I think in use out in the real world... I will need a front fill solution

and I thought: ring flash

I stick camera on monopod, stick ringflash on camera..hang battery off monopod and if I could get f8 at 5 feet with 100asa film

I'd be a headshot monster out on the mean streets

so..anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably affordable ringflash with that much grunt?

Re: ringflash suggestions??

I've used Metz and Sunpak portable ring flashes in the past; they mostly offer LED lights now, but Metz has a good kit still available: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_macro.html
    You could also look at White Lightning ring flash, they would be excellent for your new studio: http://www.paulcbuff.com/abr800.php

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've used Metz and Sunpak portable ring flashes in the past; they mostly offer LED lights now, but Metz has a good kit still available: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_macro.html
    You could also look at White Lightning ring flash, they would be excellent for your new studio: http://www.paulcbuff.com/abr800.php

Metz and sunpak won't have enough juice for f8 at 5'... the alien bees is super, except I'd need the accessory battery bringing the total cost to around 800
    ..if I can find a used one for about 350...I think that would do it though

More power = more money.

Are you limited to 100ASA?
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    More power = more money.

Don't forget quality of light, you'll get a completely different experience from Metz or alien bees vs something like Profoto or Broncolor.

Best of luck in your choices.

More power = more money.

I need it as a fill.. so..just so it's 1 stop down from ambient

I suppose I could use asa 200.. and then a higher shutter speed and thus need f5.6

but LF shutters top out at about 200 / 250...so at 100asa..that would be f11 at 200/250 in daylight with a fill of f8

at 200 asa..I would need a shutter speed of 1000 to get to f8 and thus fill at f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Don't forget quality of light, you'll get a completely different experience from Metz or alien bees vs something like Profoto or Broncolor.

Best of luck in your choices.
    Can you elucidate on this? Have you used all four brands? Any real world comparison?

To my knowledge quality of light can be modified in various ways. Color with gels (if the wavelengths are there), specular with size.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I need it as a fill.. so..just so it's 1 stop down from ambient

I suppose I could use asa 200.. and then a higher shutter speed and thus need f5.6

but LF shutters top out at about 200 / 250...so at 100asa..that would be f11 at 200/250 in daylight with a fill of f8

at 200 asa..I would need a shutter speed of 1000 to get to f8 and thus fill at f5.6
    That's a tough one, normally I'd adjust the light source distance but that is fixed in addition to a constant focal length and FOV.

wait..if I shot 50asa

then it would be 60th at f16 or 250 at f8 with a fill of f5.6

that could work..or it makes more ringflashes theoretically available

ringflash suggestions??

Can you elucidate on this? Have you used all four brands? Any real world comparison?

To my knowledge quality of light can be modified various ways. Color with gels (if the wavelengths are there), specular with size.
    I've used all but Metz.

Broncolor and Profoto have much more consistent color temp flash to flash, as well as from light to light, precise color temperature is important in color film shooting, (no need for modification or gels or even a color meter if using Profoto, perfect balance out of the box) the light output is more accurate flash to flash as well.

Metz has a directional outward design different from the more even spread light of Profoto or Broncolor.

Alien bees to my knowledge from reading are a good in-between light but less consistent than the Profoto/Broncolor which every professional product and fashion Photogrpher I've spoken with about has confirmed (roughly 10 real pro's the kind who make 6 figures, not amateurs or family portrait studio people).

anyway, quality of light matters to some, others aren't specialized enough or care enough that it matters. I'm only offering the OP options and knowledge and perspective, I'm not saying Metz are bad, I'm saying you get what you pay for.