Thread: In praise of the Epson 850 scanner software

In praise of the Epson 850 scanner software

I recently bought a Epson 850 Flat bed scanner for scanning 4x5 negs. I initially tried Vuescan and Silverfast software (both of which I use on my Plustek 120 scanner for 120 film). But for some reason the scans were horrible especially trying to get the scanner to make the correct crop. I was frustrated and pulling my hair out trying every setting in the book. I then noticed that the scanner came with its own Epson software. As soon as I tried that, "Bobs your uncle" I started getting fantastic scans (very large scans at that) Now I use that software all the time and at a resolution of 1xxx something which gives me a 20 to 40 MB scan.
    Later

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: In praise of the Epson 850 scanner software

I've been very satisfied using the Epson software (in Advanced mode) on my Epson v750 as well... I think the toughest issue is getting the right adjustment distance from the glass for the sharpest scan, whether using the stock Epson film holders or my homemade 5x7 film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I've been very satisfied using the Epson software (in Advanced mode) on my Epson v750 as well... I think the toughest issue is getting the right adjustment distance from the glass for the sharpest scan, whether using the stock Epson film holders or my homemade 5x7 film holder.
    I didn't know thee was an adjustment. If I remember rightly I used advanced but didn't see anything about focus settings........I'm just using the Epson film holders.
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    I didn't know thee was an adjustment. If I remember rightly I used advanced but didn't see anything about focus settings........I'm just using the Epson film holders.
    The Epson holders have little sliding bits to raise or lower the glass, one on each corner. The "default setting" is to set them to the small triangle marking.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

I like the Epson Scan software, no complaints, I use it with a V750 Pro.