Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: future of 4x5 and 8x10 film

Re: future of 4x5 and 8x10 film

Redrock, I don't care about having the last word nor about arguing. We don't have to agree in order to talk about something, but we do need to respect each other. If you don't accept that minimum, don't even bother. That's all I'm saying.

As for the rest, I said it before and I still think that the time will show. Let's take Michael's advice and re-assess where we stand in another few years.

ARS KC2UU

Waiting 4-years may be too late....

I sense one thing here in this thread that many may not be fully considering in their opinions and discussion of the future… not only regarding film vs. digital but affecting a lot of other areas including the electronics revolution in general.

Obviously it goes without saying that we are now in one of the biggest economic downturns since the electronics revolution started. I believe this is going to affect development in all areas of electronics not just digital photography.

I worked for Bell Laboratories for many years, starting with them when they were part of AT&T and going through many changes as part of the Lucent Technologies spin-off in 1996. My lab was several doors down the hall from where the transistor was discovered and I saw first hand many of the technological advancements that came through during the 80s and 90s when I was there. The level of investment for electronics development was frantic. For reference the Labs’ research budget alone during its heyday with Lucent was 11% of gross sales… and the company was a multi-billion dollar enterprise at that time. That was a lot of money being pumped into research for our electronics future.

Well the future that was bought with that money is where we are now, but the funding for our next electronics future is mostly gone. I recall during that time we had to memorize the x-y coordinates of our parking space in the morning in order to be sure we could find our cars in the evening among the thousands that were parked there. Now, for the few research facilities that are actually left, there is grass growing up through the cracks in the lots and there is front row parking all day.

The bottom line is the big-time research budget is now gone for them and for many other research think tanks. So I really don’t believe that the rate of electronics advancement is going to continue at that pace in the next decade or two.

So how will this affect the respective futures of digital and film photography?... my sense is both will see significant cut-backs but film may take the bigger hit because it was already on the way down when this economic mess started.

There is a new term I saw in a pundit column the other day that describes the borrowing and spending habits many of us had through the last couple of decades. They’re calling it “living large.” I guess that means borrowing and spending at a frantic pace in order to always have the latest gadgets and technology. They are saying that the days of living large are over for the foreseeable future and we are now already saving more and buying less.

My opinion is I think this paradigm shift is hurting both digital equipment and film photography sales, but I think overall it will turn out to be far worse for film. My only hope is that film doesn’t fall to the point of near extinction because it is the medium I prefer for my hobby and probably always will be. Bob

Wow, you guys. Film will be here as long as there exists a significant market for it. Period.

When I joined APUG in 2003, there were a little over 2000 souls worldwide in membership there. The last time I looked, there are over 32000 APUG'rs dedicated to film photography. This doesn't seem like a decline to me. Granted, the commercial market has turned digital on us, but I am seeing ever increasing prices paid for used large format equipment these days.

I'll tell you this, if film goes away - I'll coat my own glass negatives. Hell, I may like it more!

Quote Originally Posted by catshaver View Post
    I'll tell you this, if film goes away - I'll coat my own glass negatives. Hell, I may like it more!
    I've done it - it's kind of fun. But I'll stick with 8x10 or 4x5 glass plates. No way I'd try with 120.

Virtually all of my printing is on hand coated papers and other surfaces, and for sure it is a lot of fun. I have also done some hand coating of glass plates, and that too is a lot of fun. However, I frankly don't see hand coating glass plates as a viable option for MF and LF film, if they were to disappear. In any event, I am much more interested in the final print than in the mechanism of image capture.

BTW, are there are good studies on the market for film over the past decade, especially as that breaks down in terms of format?

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I've done it - it's kind of fun. But I'll stick with 8x10 or 4x5 glass plates. No way I'd try with 120.

Good God. As far as I am concerned there is simply too much idle prognostication about things that quite honestly would be moot if we got off our collective asses and made some photographs.

Please don't get drawn into extended arguments. Make your contribution and let it go.

We are all better for it.

DO IT!

Cheers!

Mike,

Jumping Jehosephat!!

What is the problem with asking if there have been any market studies on film sales?

I have been out and about making negatives seven of the last nine days. Yesterday alone I spent six hours on the road and seven hours in the field photographing. If you can match that you beat me out for the "no dust on my ass award."

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Good God. As far as I am concerned there is simply too much idle prognostication about things that quite honestly would be moot if we got off our collective asses and made some photographs.

Please don't get drawn into extended arguments. Make your contribution and let it go.

We are all better for it.

DO IT!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Mike,

Jumping Jehosephat!!

What is the problem with asking if there have been any market studies on film sales?

I have been out and about making negatives seven of the last nine days. Yesterday alone I spent six hours on the road and seven hours in the field photographing. If you can match that you beat me out for the "no dust on my ass award."

Sandy
    I know how hard you work at making images Sandy. If everyone had your schedule there would not be near the sensitivity over splitting hairs or personal sensitivity as can be the case. I am loading holders and packing for a photo trip in the morning after mixing chemicals yesterday and cleaning up the darkroom.

The problem of accessibility to film is really up to us. If we shoot it, they will produce it....

See you in couple of months.

Cheers!

Dare I say it? This thread has been very entertaining!

So it goes
    Tin Can