Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dealing with medium format technical cameras here in the Forum

dealing with medium format technical cameras here in the Forum

i would opt that you make a own part besides the Lounge for medium format cameras, that are to be used like LF cameras, but have 6x9 backs, like technika and technikardan.

This cameras will often serve as starting drugs for LF, and when you bury this topics in the strange lounge mix where nobody finds it you miss chances for promoting LF...

Big disadvantage of the lounge is that is is not showed to non-members. So you maybe miss the people that start with technical cameras in 6x9 because of the film they are used to, not sheet film.

For these baby technical cams there is no home in the internet.. in apug they are buried among the Hasselblads and rolleis, and here they are into "non-photo-topic...

if you start with such cameras, you have the knowledge for this cameras here, and nowhere else, and you miss a chance for new forum members...b especially because the lounge is hidden to visitors...

Re: dealing with medium format technical cameras here in the Forum

Harald, this is an old discussion that has been settled. We're in a large format (4x5/9x12 and larger) forum. After lengthy and tedious discussions medium format cameras, here mainly press, technical and view, have been banished to the lounge.

I have a couple of 2x3 (sold as such) view cameras and a small heap of 2x3 (sold as such) press cameras. I also have a 4x5 view camera that I use with a 6x12 roll holder. If I were king this forum's rules would be somewhat different but I'm not king and I can live with the rules as they are. You can too. I'm fed up with interminable wrangling about rules and with fools who reopen the wrangles.

You're mistaken about APUG, people talk about 2x3/6x9 press, technical and view cameras in that board's LF section. They talk about fixed lens 2x3/6x9 folders in that board's MF section. But unlike this forum, APUG is not primarily for view camera users.

As for non-members, screw 'em. Membership here is free and open to all. People who want to participate here have no reason not to join.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Harald, this is an old discussion that has been settled. We're in a large format (4x5/9x12 and larger) forum. After lengthy and tedious discussions medium format cameras, here mainly press, technical and view, have been banished to the lounge.

I have a couple of 2x3 (sold as such) view cameras and a small heap of 2x3 (sold as such) press cameras. I also have a 4x5 view camera that I use with a 6x12 roll holder. If I were king this forum's rules would be somewhat different but I'm not king and I can live with the rules as they are. You can too. I'm fed up with interminable wrangling about rules and with fools who reopen the wrangles.

You're mistaken about APUG, people talk about 2x3/6x9 press, technical and view cameras in that board's LF section. They talk about fixed lens 2x3/6x9 folders in that board's MF section. But unlike this forum, APUG is not primarily for view camera users.

As for non-members, screw 'em. Membership here is free and open to all. People who want to participate here have no reason not to join.
    I agree w/ all points Dan has made above.

Thanks Dan.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 24-Jul-2015 at 09:45. Reason: add a thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    I agree w/ all points Dan has made above.

Thanks Dan.
    but even 9x12 is not large format here, as i learned yesterday...

I dont want to have the smaller technical cameras in the LF part, but If it stays buried in the lounge you will miss chances and for me it is better to leave the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    Please revisit the thread. The moderator admits his bad call on that. 9x12cm is large format.

dealing with medium format technical cameras here in the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    Not so. That was a mistake on the part of a new moderator who had not seen where we considered 9x12 as the metric equivalent of 4x5. That mistake was corrected and the action undone.

And then we more seasoned mods were rightly chastised for not making it clear in the guidelines, which we will do in the fullness of time.

Rick "the line has to be drawn somewhere given that not all view cameras are large format, and not all large format cameras are view cameras" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Please revisit the thread. The moderator admits his bad call on that. 9x12cm is large format.
    Yes, and good on them for doing so. Let's get that added to the "official rules" under the FAQ section so it's codified and can be referenced for new folks and regulars alike.

Edit: I see Rick has already mentioned above about adding it to said guidelines. Thanks!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Xipho,

Any question you have about view camera movements, bellows extension, film holders, ground glass, etc. that applies to 4x5 or larger cameras you can simply ask as such. Just substitute "4x5" for "2x3" or whatever.

Questions about roll film backs for 4x5 cameras (which you may have on your smaller cameras) likewise.

Questions like these are generic and can be asked and answered in the appropriate large-format sub-forum.

Topics specific to the smaller camera (I can't think of any right off hand...) will have to stay in the lounge. If that doesn't serve you well enough, you'll just have to start your own forum...

Best,

Doremus

Large Format Photography Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Large Format Photography Forum.
    so I should just pretend an imaginary Super Technika 4x5 and everything is fine...

I just make a point that it would be a good thing for a LARGE FORMAT forum to look a little bit to cameras that are like LF cameras only a little bit smaller.

It is even more strange, that this forum does not allow discussions to 6x9 backs for LF cameras. These threads are all moved to "loung" Thats absolutely weird. If I deal with a tyoe of camera, I have to cover them completely. So the Format size seems more like a religion here..

If I have a rollexflex (eg in apug in the MF forum) and I have a question about the 35mm film insert, It is not moved to 35mm section...