Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable!

Octogenarian

Unbelievable!

We are constantly being reminded that the USA is experiencing difficult economic times. That's not hard to believe.

A mural sized print from the bankrupt Polaroid Corp. collection was sold at a Sotheby's auction for $722,500 two days ago .

It was a large B&W print of Ansel Adams' "Clearing Winter Storm" that he printed it in the late 1960's, or early 1970's.

Sotheby's didn't disclose the name of the winning bidder, but you can bet he/she wasn't a USA citizen.

Did you feel the earth shake? It was Ansel turning over in his grave.

Re: Unbelievable!

One has to remember that anyone who can afford to drop $ 722,500.00 will most
    likely not be affected by any economic downturn, regardless if their nationality.
    Last edited by Jim C.; 23-Jun-2010 at 10:56. Reason: Did'nt do my research about the Ansel print, it wasn't a Polaroid print

A bunch of these murals-sized ones sold. all at high prices. I wonder if the same buyer bought them all?

--Darin

I don't think the ultra wealthy in the US are out of the running. And my recent trip to England, France, and Ireland didn't detect a growing class of ultra wealthy Europeans either. Remember when Japan was buying up all the american iconic "stuff" back in the 80s? They aren't any more. Good times come and go for all. For Polaroid and the artists who donated their work to them, it's the last, sad goodby. Ansel would be upset about that, not about who was buying his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    A mural sized print...
    Anyone know the dimensions of said "mural sized" print might be? Just curious. I've seen it in 20x16 inches and it's pretty grainy.

Bruce Watson

A high price for a large AA photograph. That makes sense to me. I have a lot of admiration for AA.

Now, a high price for a picture of a picture of a cowboy...that seems crazy....

There is a good side, that is whomever purchased the image has an appreciation of photography. Likely they will take good care of it. The sad part is that the money spent on art in general could easily feed many homeless, or poor in: "name the country" for months and perhaps years. Then again in general wealthy people at east some do contribute to charity in ways the general public and even riff raff one step up from the gutter don't and won't.

"Priorities"

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    We are constantly being reminded that the USA is experiencing difficult economic times. That's not hard to believe.

A mural sized print from the bankrupt Polaroid Corp. collection was sold at a Sotheby's auction for $722,500 two days ago .

It was a large B&W print of Ansel Adams' "Clearing Winter Storm" that he printed it in the late 1960's, or early 1970's.

Sotheby's didn't disclose the name of the winning bidder, but you can bet he/she wasn't a USA citizen.

Did you feel the earth shake? It was Ansel turning over in his grave.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Someone on another thread (Gem?) said they were 40x50 inches.

I wonder also if this print was pre-fire damage or post fire damage? That might also be a factor in the price, although i suspect the large size is really the key.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Someone on another thread (Gem?) said they were 40x50 inches.

I wonder also if this print was pre-fire damage or post fire damage? That might also be a factor in the price, although i suspect the large size is really the key.

--Darin
    I believe the fire was in 1937. The Polaroid process wasn't around until 1948 or so.

The key is the combination of the photographer's name and the fact that it's an iconic Adams photograph in a unique size.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.