Thread: Oh, those Chinese focusing mounts

Oh, those Chinese focusing mounts

No, I am not disparaging Chinese engineering, just posting one observation from a DIY guy (me) caught in a tough situation.

I am trying to convert my 4x5 Super-Wide with 47mm Super-Angulon f/4.5 to a Super-Angulon 47mm XL with a Chinese focusing mount. Problem #1, the Chinese mount fastens to my lens board so that there is no gap to allow turning the distance ring without turning the whole mount away from the jam-nut. Okay - I need a spacer. I can deal with that.

Problem #2 is that there is no pin on the 47mm XL to keep it from moving in the mount. The early version (non XL) has such a pin.

Is there yet another thing in my messed-up DIY that I am missing?
    Should I post pictures to make the situation clear?

TIA

The current camera awaiting the XL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super-wide-4x5-1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	170413

Re: Oh, those Chinese focusing monts

I have helped two other photographers with trying to use/adapt their Chinese focusing mounts which they purchased on EEEbay. In both instances the extra local machine work to make them useable cost more in the end than an OEM Japanese or possibly even a Swiss/German focusing mount.

So the main problem is rotation, so look if there's a screw hole for the stop screw (that you should be able to get off a junker, or repair shop) or the most tiny drop of blue tread-lok on the mounting flange face...

Spacer is the usual suspects...

Steve K

Re: Oh, those Chinese focusing mounts

When I tried to adapt a 90mm f6.8 Angulon I found the opening in the focusing mount was way too narrow to allow full coverage of 4X5. This was a mount with a M42 fitting and about 25mm depth at infinity with a 17mm travel. It does work with a 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat from a old 1a (which has a 5 inch diagonal, so not really made to cover 4X5). Most of these focusing tubes look like they were made for smaller formats than 4X5.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have helped two other photographers with trying to use/adapt their Chinese focusing mounts which they purchased on EEEbay. In both instances the extra local machine work to make them useable cost more in the end than an OEM Japanese or possibly even a Swiss/German focusing mount.
    Thanks for the good news, Greg. Seriously, I appreciate candor.

Can you give a pointer to Swiss/German focusing mounts?

Schneider makes a mount for the 47XL specifically, that is the one to have if you can find it. The non-XL mount will work too (for the regular 47).

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    When I tried to adapt a 90mm f6.8 Angulon I found the opening in the focusing mount was way too narrow to allow full coverage of 4X5. This was a mount with a M42 fitting and about 25mm depth at infinity with a 17mm travel. It does work with a 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat from a old 1a (which has a 5 inch diagonal, so not really made to cover 4X5). Most of these focusing tubes look like they were made for smaller formats than 4X5.
    I only use the M65 mounts ... more space to work with inside and no issues with the mount vignetting regardless of the length. Bought 8 so far, none with issues. As for accessories for these helicoids to mount copal 0 and copal 1 shutters, check "RAF camera" also on eBay, he'll make any lens adapter are very reasonable prices.

YMMV,

Rudi A.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Schneider makes a mount for the 47XL specifically, that is the one to have if you can find it. The non-XL mount will work too (for the regular 47).
    Yes, thank you, Ed. I found the part number. Metinks it is unlikely that I will find one I can afford. So be it.

My latest idea is to dive into the * big electrics box and find wire with the right diameter that will wrap around the inside of the focusing mount to lift it over the lens board just enough to clear the lens board face. If I find the right diameter I will make an O ring, soldered at the ends.

If it succeeds or not I'll post the outcome.

It's good I'm retired to spend time rather than money. Sometimes.

* The big box from my earlier years of wiring my own hand-made vehicles.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 3-Oct-2017 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    When I tried to adapt a 90mm f6.8 Angulon I found the opening in the focusing mount was way too narrow to allow full coverage of 4X5.
    A very good caution. My particular focusing mount is generous and places the rear lens correct for full coverage. But you did send me scrambling to the bench to make sure! That's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I only use the M65 mounts ... more space to work with inside and no issues with the mount vignetting regardless of the length. Bought 8 so far, none with issues. As for accessories for these helicoids to mount copal 0 and copal 1 shutters, check "RAF camera" also on eBay, he'll make any lens adapter are very reasonable prices.

YMMV,

Rudi A.
    Thanks Rudi, I don't think I paid enough attention to the specs when I ordered. No matter, I made it work with a different lens. Think I'll check out a mount with the larger opening you mention.