Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gun Powder Flash

Re: Gun Powder Flash

I can remember my brother finding some sort of black powder in our basement or somewhere (maybe he broke open a whole bunch of firecrackers, it was quite some time ago). He decided that it would be a good idea to pour a line on the ground and light it and watch it burn across the ground (like in the movies) to a bigger pile not too far away. His plan was to light, step back and watch the big poof.
    His eyebrows did grow back and he never tried it again.

http://www.totse2.com/totse/en/bad_i...ide174260.html

Note that this is filed under "Bad Ideas" since the chance of hurting yourself is very real.

Gunpowder is classified as an explosive for one very good reason...

IT EXPLODES!

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

No, it doesn't. Only the container which confines it explodes.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Yes, Randy is right, and all the other gunpowder experts are wrong. If you throw a match on a pile of gunpowder it will burn, not explode.

Here is a link to another thread on this issue: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...sh-%28Boom!%29

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Kent, do you have a "black box" recorder in your truck cab? Will your final words be, "Watch this!"

I like to photo trains at night, using flash. I'm getting bored with my White Lightning X3200 monolights. I was thinking that a tidy little pile of flash powder going off as a train approached would impress the hell out of the crew. They're pretty used to my monolights already. Could wait until winter, when the ground is covered with snow. Nothing to catch fire then, and the white snow doubles the amount of light!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If I have allowed you to believe that using gunpowder has no risk then I have misled you. Guilty as charged. Using gunpowder for ANYTHING included the intended purpose IS risky and you CAN get hurt or killed but life is full or risk.

What about riding a motorcycle? That is risky and it can get you killed just as easily. However, I find your admonishments about using gunpowder to be as fallacious as you would find me if I told you that you should never ride a motorcycle.

If I told you that you could ride a motorcycle from "Point A" to "Point B" you would think about it, judge the risks of doing so and either take precautions accordingly or you might decide not to do it at all. Further, you would not yell at me simply for talking about motorcycles.

Even if you did decide to ride a motorcycle, you would automatically assume that there are precautions to be taken before and during any motorcycle ride. You would assume that a helmet and proper clothing is required. You would assume that a person must be an able-bodied, sound-minded adult. You would assume that the would-be motorcyclist has the proper license and has taken a course in motorcycle safety. If I told you to wear a helmet and ride safely, you would say, "Of course," and you might even thank me for reminding you.

Now, if I suggest using gunpowder for a particular purpose, don't I have the right to assume that you are an able-bodied, sound-minded adult who will take precautions when experimenting with fire? Do you think it would be wise to experiment outdoors, to wear safety goggles, to have a fire extinguisher on hand and to study up before beginning? If I reminded you to take these precautions, wouldn't you say, "Thanks for reminding me," and follow that advice? If you didn't follow that advice, don't you think I would be right in saying "I told you so"?

Well, I have talked about using gunpowder. I have told you my experience with it. I have warned you to take precaution. I have even suggested alternatives to using gunpowder.

Yes, yes, yes! Gunpowder can be dangerous! VERY dangerous! I have said that at least twice, now. But, no, gunpowder will not explode if you throw a match on a pile of it in open air. It will deflagrate. (Burn very quickly.) It will not explode unless it is confined.

Just to tweak you off, I took a teaspoon full of Goex black powder outdoors and touched it off with a lit cigarette. It did not explode and I'm still in one piece.
    (Oh, my God! He smoked a CIGARETTE!)

I did not try to tell a consenting adult who understands the risks that he should never use black powder. I also reminded him of some of those risks. Furthermore, I have suggested an alternative.

On the other hand, I also gave thought to the idea that our original poster might be attempting to do some "period correct" photography, in which case, binary powder would not be used. Fine grade black powder might be called for in that instance.

I'm sorry if I upset you by suggesting that everybody in the world should always be 100% safe in everything they do, never venture outdoors, always eat the right food, get eight hours of sleep at night and be good little citizens every day of their lives.

When my father taught me how to load a muzzle loading rifle, he did it with a lit cigarette in his mouth. I kid you not! He died of cirrhosis.
    Randy S.

-----

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

IIRC, powdered aluminum is the ingredient in radiator stop-leak. From what I've been reading, aluminum doesn't burn as bright as magnesium, but at least you can easily get it down at the auto parts store. Look for the stuff that is a powder and comes in a clear tube, like AlumaSeal. Take a kerosene lantern, take off the mantle, and light it. Using a long PVC pipe as a blow gun, put some of the powdered aluminum in one end, and your mouth at the other end. Blow the powder over the flame. Should be good.

For other flame-throwers, search YouTube or Vimeo for flour flame-throwers. (When an aunt of mine was taught in grade school home economics that you should keep flour away from pilot lights and open flames because it could explode, she went home and tried it. She built a fire in the back yard, and then from about three feet away tossed a handful of flour in the air over it. Nice fireball. Experiment succeeded.)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    For other flame-throwers, search YouTube or Vimeo for flour flame-throwers. (When an aunt of mine was taught in grade school home economics that you should keep flour away from pilot lights and open flames because it could explode, she went home and tried it. She built a fire in the back yard, and then from about three feet away tossed a handful of flour in the air over it. Nice fireball. Experiment succeeded.)
    How about Lycopodium powder? You would have to devise an apparatus to aerate/disperse it and ignite it but it sounds interesting on an academic level, anyway.
    Randy S.

-----