Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selenium toner Kodak vs. Ilford

bill

Selenium toner Kodak vs. Ilford

I've always used Kodak in the past but do to short supply I will be switching to Ilford.Will there be a difference in dilution? I'm using Ilford multigrade fiber paper. I was mixing the Kodak 1 to 30 for 4 min. at 68 degrees.

Re: Selenium toner Kodak vs. Ilford

I haven't had any supply problems. Freestyle has it in stock, though it's listed as "low stock - call" but every time I've done that on anything they've had it. They also have their store brand "Legacy Pro" that's the same formula. I use the Legacy Pro brown toner and would use the selenium without a second thought of I couldn't get Kodak.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c306-B...emicals-Toners

(Select "Kodak" and "Legacy Pro" to narrow the field. Direct linking to the narrower selection didn't work.)

Or do you mean "short supply at a local store or my usual vendor?" That's perfectly legitimate of course, I just can't buy anything locally and forget some people can. Also, I know B&H wont ship hazmat and I'm not sure about Adorama. No problem with Freestyle. Freestyle doesn't list Selenium toner as hazmat anyway, but it seems an odd material where some places do, some places don't.

bill

Thanks Roger. My local store has Ilford and I thought if it was similar to Kodak I would give it a try.

Worth a shot. If I could get Ilford locally I'd try it. I'll be curious what folks tell you.

Actually I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss. I think there is at least one supplier of traditional materials inside Atlanta proper. I'm a born in country, dragged into becoming a suburbanite now though, that won't venture into the city proper without dire provocation (which usually comes from my fiance who thinks I'm silly and lived in Brooklyn, but then I insist she drive...)

Bill, check the shelf life once mixed.
    Most Ilford Chems only last 7 days once diluted with water. Not sure about the toners, but worth a check. If you plan on going back in the darkroom for another session the following weekend, stick with Kodak Chems.

That's an interesting question for me, too. I used Kodak rapid selenium toner a lot and was very satisfied with the results. It became very difficult to get this stuff here because it's quite poisonous. I used a different selenium toner instead (from Berg), which was supposed to be the same like Kodak but would give a fairly different hue of the prints. I use Ilfobrom FB Galerie. As far as I know, Kodak Rapid Selenium is something like 5% sodium selenide plus 30% sodium sulfite in water and should be fool proof to reproduce. However, my experience with that Berg toner indicated that there might be something else. Or they use a different concentration of the stock solution? Anyway, if you make any experience with that Ilford toner, I would be very interested in that.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Also, I know B&H wont ship hazmat
    B&H does ship Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner. They won't ship Indicator Stop Bath, but they will ship other stop baths, so I imagine that one is just because of the concentration.

"Most Ilford Chems only last 7 days once diluted with water."
    Well, sort of
    in an open tray

Unreplenished ILFORD RAPID FIXER working strength solutions should last for up to:-
    6 months in full tightly capped bottles
    2 months in a tank or dish/tray with a floating lid
    1 month in a half full tightly capped bottle.
    7 days in an open dish/tray

Storage
    Full, unopened bottles of HARMAN SELENIUM TONER
    stored in cool conditions, 5-20C (41-68F) will keep for 2 years. Once opened, use completely within 6 months, and keep all bottles tightly sealed until used.
    Working Solution Life
    Working strength solutions will normally last for up to 6
    months in full, tightly capped bottles, 1 month in half tightly capped bottles, and up to 7 days in an open tray.

But then Kodak (as far as I can find) doesn't even give this information.
    My take on the Selenium toner; it is the same as Kodak.
    And if you are worried about Selenium watch out for your "Head and Shoulders"

that's quite a statement, hadn't heard that before
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Bill, check the shelf life once mixed.
    Most Ilford Chems only last 7 days once diluted with water. Not sure about the toners, but worth a check. If you plan on going back in the darkroom for another session the following weekend, stick with Kodak Chems.

When we used Ilford at the wire service (mid 80s), we all ran on "Ilfo Speed last 7 days".
    I have never checked since that time and have always held that as my rule of thumb for Ilfo anything.
    You learn something every day! Thanks, I just downloaded an updated Fixer Data Sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    "Most Ilford Chems only last 7 days once diluted with water."
    Well, sort of
    in an open tray

Unreplenished ILFORD RAPID FIXER working strength solutions should last for up to:-
    6 months in full tightly capped bottles
    2 months in a tank or dish/tray with a floating lid
    1 month in a half full tightly capped bottle.
    7 days in an open dish/tray.............