Thread: Interesting analogue stats

Interesting analogue stats

I came across the article at the link below and thought I'd post it for any who may not have seen it, though I suspect others have posted it previously. I'll add an anecdote from the owner of one of the only professional photo stores in northern Virginia, Ace Photo, in Ashburn. He recently told me that his film business is picking up, that he has to order film every week now, and that his processing lines, which he never shut down, are increasingly busy after a long, long slow period.

The article below notes that digital in hardly going to disappear, but film is above its bottom level and seeing some action. If anyone is interested, I recommend The Revenge of Analogue, published in 2016, I believe; you may wish to scan some parts a bit quickly, but the last section is also of interest, regarding education, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...naissance-2017
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Interesting analogue stats

Is that just Moe’s VA store or also his other ones as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Is that just Moe’s VA store or also his other ones as well?
    I only know about Ace and Dominion (Falls Church, much smaller). Besides internet, others?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I only know about Ace and Dominion (Falls Church, much smaller). Besides internet, others?
    I thought he also bought one of the older DC stores a few years ago. In any case, tell him I said hello! Has he put orchids back in the widows?

Visiting Blue Moon Camera in Portland on a Saturday is a lot like going to an Apple store: its VERY busy, with a steady flow of eager customers buying equipment, film, darkroom supplies, and picking up processed negs and slides. Its a thriving business, and my impression over the past 6 years is that its getting busier all the time.
    I too believe we have seen the bottom of the FIC ("film interest curve") and are on a gentle-but-perceptible swing in the other direction. We will never see another golden age of film photography, but there is probably a healthy audience for film and other "analog" imaging technologies that will be sustainable for a good long time.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Visiting Blue Moon Camera in Portland on a Saturday is a lot like going to an Apple store: its VERY busy, with a steady flow of eager customers buying equipment, film, darkroom supplies, and picking up processed negs and slides. Its a thriving business, and my impression over the past 6 years is that its getting busier all the time.
    I too believe we have seen the bottom of the FIC ("film interest curve") and are on a gentle-but-perceptible swing in the other direction. We will never see another golden age of film photography, but there is probably a healthy audience for film and other "analog" imaging technologies that will be sustainable for a good long time.
    Music to my ears. I would love to know more anecdotal stories about the comeback of analog techniques.
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials