Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All in a Day's Shooting

All in a Day's Shooting

I've always wondered what kind of day is an average day for a large format photographer. My challenge to you all is this. After you develop your film from a day's shoot, post every shot you took for us all to view. If you want critiques, say so. And if nobody asks for critiques, assume they DON'T want them. Since it was my idea, I'll go first. The other day, I took my brand new 50-year-old Crown Graphic out and made photos while my wife had an all day class. Every negative I exposed is currently displayed at Michael's Pub. Click on the Day Out link. Feel free to laugh and offer commentary. My editors have thicked my skin quite a bit. You can't hurt my feelings....

Much.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: All in a Day's Shooting

"The horizon line is off, the telephone wires are distracting and it's slightly underexposed. The image itself is a trifle (or more than a trifle) on the mundane side and the lighting sucks. Other than that, it's a pretty good shot."

Love it. Great attitude
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Not bad at all for a spontaneous effort and a first try with a new camera at that. Better I suspect than I would do with a similar project around here. FWIW, I think some of these subjects might have been more interesting closer up, using a part of the subject to convey the essence or feeling of the whole.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a sneaking suspicion the temptation of Danny's pub was too much and you're not telling the whole story. That Dannys pub image was the BEFORE image. The last one is the AFTER image, which, if I'm not mistaken, is upside down!

Talking Re: All in a Day's Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion the temptation of Danny's pub was too much and you're not telling the whole story. That Dannys pub image was the BEFORE image. The last one is the AFTER image, which, if I'm not mistaken, is upside down!
    Why would a large format photograph that is upside down be worthy of a comment? Isn't that the way we see the world?

I was out with my Crown Graphic on the beach a couple of weeks ago and a guy in his 20s ran up, wanted to look at the Crown, said it was the coolest camera he'd ever seen, and took a photo of it with his digital camera. Then he ran over to his girlfriend and showed her his photo. I should have bargained and asked to shoot a photo of the girlfriend.
    juan

I'm curious... and GAS is brewing, rumbling, churning... deep down. Were these hand held or did you have a tripod. Do folks use these old press cameras hand held? 'Cause a 4x5 snapshot may just be the Next Coolest Thing for me...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I was out with my Crown Graphic on the beach a couple of weeks ago and a guy in his 20s ran up, wanted to look at the Crown, said it was the coolest camera he'd ever seen, and took a photo of it with his digital camera. Then he ran over to his girlfriend and showed her his photo. I should have bargained and asked to shoot a photo of the girlfriend.
    juan
    What were you THINKING??? That should have been an automatic. You see girls everywhere you go. But how often do you see a slick old camera like that. And unless the camera was still wearing its focusing cloth......
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I'm curious... and GAS is brewing, rumbling, churning... deep down. Were these hand held or did you have a tripod. Do folks use these old press cameras hand held? 'Cause a 4x5 snapshot may just be the Next Coolest Thing for me...

Mike
    Me? Hand hold a 4x5? Yyouu obbviouusssslyy hhaveen't seeenn the waay my hhhannndsss shake!~!

Bogen tripod. Just a little guy. I used three lenses. The barn was 120mm Angulon. One of the others was a 203mm Ektar, but at this very second in time, my brain isn't functioning, so I don't remember which. All the rest, including the train shots, were taken with the 135mm Optar that came with it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

What? Didn't it take brand new bank-bustingly expensive lens and camera rig to take those fun, smooth, creamy textured images?

Graphics are great walk around cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    ...I used three lenses. The barn was 120mm Angulon. One of the others was a 203mm Ektar, but at this very second in time, my brain isn't functioning, so I don't remember which. All the rest, including the train shots, were taken with the 135mm Optar that came with it.