Thread: The Black Canyon of the Gunnison & Curecanti

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison & Curecanti

I'm going and I'll have the 'dorff 8x10 along.
    Any suggestions? The Needle is a must, of course.
    Any thoughts on shooting the shadows in the Canyon?
    I've never seen the place before and the "black" part-----the shadows--- sounds like a challenge.

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: The Black Canyon of the Gunnison & Curecanti

For the Black Canyon you will likely be looking down into the canyon from the rim. There is one road to the bottom but you really cannot get into the canyon easily. The Painted Wall will provide you some fun if you are feeling in an abstract mood. I have been several times but still have not made any images I really really like. This year may be excellent as we have a wet spring and early summer so storm clouds are around. Have a lot of fun!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    For the Black Canyon you will likely be looking down into the canyon from the rim. There is one road to the bottom but you really cannot get into the canyon easily. The Painted Wall will provide you some fun if you are feeling in an abstract mood. I have been several times but still have not made any images I really really like. This year may be excellent as we have a wet spring and early summer so storm clouds are around. Have a lot of fun!
    Thanks, Eric! Do you think a Toyota Yaris can manage OK on the gravel road on the N. rim?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A Yaris will do fine. The real problem is the narrowness of the canyon. It's not like the Grand Canyon at all -- where you can easily get great expansive vistas, or hike down into the canyon. The top of the Black Canyon is always in bright light and the bottom is nearly always pitch black. And if you try early or late in the day -- like you would with the GC -- the angle of the light makes matters even worse. So I'd recommend getting down to the river -- that way you can actually get the river in the scenes -- but then you have to hike.

Another option is to go fishing at Green Mountain Resevoir. Colorado is now paying anglers $20 for every Pike they catch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pike.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	165735
    Last edited by xkaes; 4-Jun-2017 at 07:26.

Years ago I drove down to the bottom of the canyon with the wife and kids...not hard at all. We camped at the bottom. Great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Another option is to go fishing at Green Mountain Resevoir. Colorado is now paying anglers $20 for every Pike they catch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pike.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	165735
    Hmmm...5 Pike = 1 box of 8x10 film

Keep in mind that you have to actually catch the pike. Capturing one on film won't qualify for the bounty. You actually have to turn the corpse over to the State. Turning over a negative won't cut it.
    Last edited by xkaes; 4-Jun-2017 at 11:11.

Photographer

As others have suggested, it's a tough place to photograph. I found the north rim more interesting. The road there is no problem. Do drive to the bottom on the south side. It only gives you limited access to the river, but is worth seeing. I think hiking to the bottom would be interesting, but hiking back up with your Deardorff would be very unpleasant.
    Keith Pitman

Drive to Cimarron, east of Montrose on US 50, and enjoy the narrow gauge railroad display, I think you can still drive back in to Morrow Point Dam. I haven't been there in years, but it was always one of my favorite places to visit. My kids were very young and enjoyed exploring the area. BTW, Cimarron Creek had some killer fly fishing spots. From there, you can drive up to Silver Jack Reservoir and over Owl Creek Pass through some spectacular mountain vistas. That road should be passable with a sedan, and comes out in Ridgeway just south of Montrose on 550.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian