Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Re: New Catagory for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

I think there is interest as there are close to 10 thousand views. I have no interest in using a clunky site . My request is for it to happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    The AltPhotoList.org still exists and does have a daily batch option. Its a ListServ and rather clunky to use. But it could be used to gauge interest in an actual alternative Photo process forum.

In the desert...

Re: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Bob has unique techniques all first rate, produces beautiful images, has been a gracious and giving contributor to "our community". I am having a " duh, what's the hold up here"?
    What a classy and relative addition to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think there is interest as there are close to 10 thousand views. I have no interest in using a clunky site . My request is for it to happen here.
    But I bet the number of views per individual is quite high...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I admit it .. Hi my name is Bob and I am addicted to Large Format Forums..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But I bet the number of views per individual is quite high...

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    If a healthy number of us could come to agreement on where to go to discuss printing, and then actually go there with work and discussion, often and regularly, I think whatever site we chose would fly. That would be a nice thing.
    This is a great idea. AltPhotoList.org (thanks Doug), DPUG, F295, and the Bostick & Sullivan forum have all done great and generous things for the alt community and they really should be supported, not abandoned because they are a little less convenient.

There's a point to be made that the more visibility these processes have on the internet, the greater the potential participation. But there is also a risk of losing a lot of archived information in these existing forums due to declining membership.

Thanks Dave
    It should be pointed out that when I got the bug for large format I did not have a 8 x10 camera... Dave sent me a complete kit with lens and backs.. I think answers Oren's #3
    It arrived on my doorstep with no charge all the way from Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Bob has unique techniques all first rate, produces beautiful images, has been a gracious and giving contributor to "our community". I am having a " duh, what's the hold up here"?
    What a classy and relative addition to the forum!

Lurker

It's inconceivable that an Alt Process section would not enhance the forum.

David

Quote Originally Posted by TXFZ1 View Post
    It's inconceivable that an Alt Process section would not enhance the forum.

David
    I agree. I've been thinking about Jim's experience at APIS last week and I had the same thing at an alt-process symposium last September. I think it is very likely that an alt-process printing section here would be a LF evangelizing force. Face it, most new photographers are starting with digital. Small digital. Their images may never make it past a computer screen. Maybe an inkjet print if they are very ambitious. I can imagine a handmade print from small film or digital capture might lead to a LF camera and film, once the scary expensive steep learning curve doesn't look like such a complete unknown.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Denise, maybe some would look to LF but my thought is that people will turn away from Large Format. Why? Because it is to slow, to heavy and to much trouble to develop film. Many people at APIS did not have darkrooms. Let's face it as some people on this forum age we go to push carts from backpacks to go out in the field. Then it is just to much trouble and if all of the talk here is about a digital workflow some may say why not. How many pro's make all of their living shooting film? Eventually all of the talk is about digital negatives etc. It is already happening in a big way and there is no stopping it. I just don't think it should be here. It should be on it's own site.

I know that at some point I may have to go that way. I just think that a traditional large format site should stay that way. Just my opinion nothing more. I understand and support both sides but let's keep them separate please.

Jim,

Well, that makes painfully too much sense. I could hope your crystal ball is broken, but I suspect it works just fine.
    I'm probably going to try DPUG again. I agree with Randy's sentiment about not starting a new, potentially short-lived forum. I find APUG "difficult", but I do believe it and therefore DPUG will be around for awhile. Needs more traffic, though.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film