Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

There were lots of comments about this when it first came out. I'd like to hear thoughts about it from people who have actually used it.
    Upgrading to new computer soon and haven't decided if I should change, or reinstall Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2.
    Here in the Montana Sticks, internet speed is pretty slow, (when it works) so I would hate to have to wait while working on things.
    Is CC actually stored on your machine?
    If so can you run the program without connection the net?
    Anything else I should know about?
    I tried to open some RAW files from a newer Cannon camera and found that CS4 didn't have the right magic ingredients for that. Am I correct in the assumption that if I get a newer digital camera I will have to upgrade, or are there ways around this? I currently have a Nikon D300 and a couple of D70s's
    thanks
    Bryan

Re: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

Bryan, I use CC most days. It's how I earn the majority of my living. You don't need to be online to use it. Everything is stored on your system, just as before. I don't know how far your older programs can be updated, but make sure you use the newest camera raw and Lightroom updates for them. With newer cameras, there might be workarounds for using with the older programs, such as using a program to produce dng files, and then using Lightroom or camera raw to open those. The camera/lens specific features won't be there, but that shouldn't be a big deal. For me, using CC is worth it, but it all depends upon what type of things you do.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Does CC call home periodically to check if our subscription is current?
    And if it does, and we cannot connect are we screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Bryan, I use CC most days. It's how I earn the majority of my living. You don't need to be online to use it. Everything is stored on your system, just as before. I don't know how far your older programs can be updated, but make sure you use the newest camera raw and Lightroom updates for them. With newer cameras, there might be workarounds for using with the older programs, such as using a program to produce dng files, and then using Lightroom or camera raw to open those. The camera/lens specific features won't be there, but that shouldn't be a big deal. For me, using CC is worth it, but it all depends upon what type of things you do.
    Agree 100%. I have the bargain version with Lightroom and Photoshop. The wife has the full-blown version as she uses InDesign and Illustrator in addition to PS. IMO, both subscriptions are bargains.
    Bill McMannis

Preston Birdwell

Here's the listing of all cameras that the Camera Plug-in (versions 1.0 through 8.7) supports.

Adobe Camera RAW Plugin Versions and Supported Cameras

For example, for the D-300, the minimum version of ACR is 4.3, and the Lightroom minimum version is 1.3.1.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

To the best of my knowledge it calls home periodically and if a month or so goes by without being able to connect you're screwed - not sure how often one can't connect for a whole month though. Hasn't been a real problem at all. (I did have a period when my internet service crapped out for a few days so I stuck a USB Wifi adapter in the machine and tethered to my iPhone. Worked OK for critical stuff like e-mail and Adobe never complained.

I am always connected the web, twice down in 10 years. Use the $10 CC version daily and love it.

I would not want to go back to earlier editions of PS or LR. I have used PS since 1996 and paid for updates for many years at great expense. CC is a bargain compared to the past.

I see PS is celebrating 25 years. http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotc...photoshop.html

Each improvement has made PS better, much better, never worse.

At work I had to use the phone to get Adobe activated, really not a big deal. I had no Internet there until I hacked in...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    There were lots of comments about this when it first came out. I'd like to hear thoughts about it from people who have actually used it.
    Can't help you there. I'm not interested in renting software. Just not going there. But my copy of Photoshop CS6 still works just fine.

Bruce Watson

I'm not letting any business attach itself to my credit card. Its just not smart. Had one photo friend find out Adobe billed him $600 and he's trying to get it back. I'm taking a Lightroom class and the instructor said if Adobe makes Lightroom 6 subscription only he's out. He says that On1 and another British software company are poised to take people who don't want to use the cloud or subscription software. He showed us the Bata of the one and it looks very much like Photoshop with minor differences. I can hear the law suits a comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Can't help you there. I'm not interested in renting software. Just not going there. But my copy of Photoshop CS6 still works just fine.
    Me too. But I was able to get it at edu discount, so it was vastly cheaper. I don't upgrade unless I really have to.

I'm keeping an eye on Affinity Photo as a possible replacement--the beta looks promising, already has most of what I need. Will be interesting to see what the final product is like.