Thread: Solo Road Trips

Re: Solo Road Trips

I'd want to take more film!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    This past fall I spent 31 days in southern Utah. I am not a fan of hotels as a rule, so I camp out. In my case that means sleeping in the back of my Honda Element. I have it rigged up so I can easily fit my 6 foot frame in the back on my platform bed. I would camp sometimes in national parks and other times on BLM land. Being "old" has its advantage with the senior park pass- free entry and half price camping. I splurged on several nice meals, but mostly cooked my own food. Showers were taken at places that offered them, although one time after five days, I felt like "Pigpen" in the Peanuts cartoon. Like some of those here, occasionally I would stop at a McDonalds and buy a cheap breakfast sandwich and also take advantage of their wi-fi. I think all told I might have spent about $400 plus gas which I think ended up being about $600 which comes out to about $33 per day. I do tend to carry a fair amount of supplies with me in terms of food and most importantly some good stout and porter beers and some good (to me) coffee. Now all that being said, I did spend a small fortune on 8x10 film and processing, but that is where I prefer to spend my money. Not sure this type of travel would work in more populated areas, but for those areas I frequent, it works out fine. In the 31 days, I did not get one hotel room and that was ok with me.
    Jim, you forgot to mention some of the dirt bags you met up with on your trip. Like me.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Showers were taken at places that offered them, although one time after five days, I felt like "Pigpen" in the Peanuts cartoon.
    Up to your early twenties you can go a week without bathing and never give it a second thought. But the older you get the more self-conscious you get until you simply have to take one every day whether you need one or not. On multi-day backpacks I carry a 1-gallon collapsible water container and at the end of the day fill it with stream water and, if the water is cold, place it on a rock in the sun to heat up while I set-up camp and then "take a shower." In areas where I have to carry a bear can I leave the collapsible container at home and use the bear can. The "shower" makes you feel "brand new."

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    [...]
    Grap a wood stick to help you walk when you're tired or use it to help you climb - it's better to have something at hand when you face some nervous dogs on the road also
    [...]
    good point. No need to climb because the route is along a plateau and terrain is almost plain, but dogs could always be a nuisance or a danger.

Muito obrigado, Renato.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo A. Siliceo View Post
    good point. No need to climb because the route is along a plateau and terrain is almost plain, but dogs could always be a nuisance or a danger.

Muito obrigado, Renato.
    Actually trekking poles (2, not one) help transfer pack weight off your knees. Handy at a certain age. A single pole is handy for stability and some have 1/4-20 tripod screw on top for use as a monopod (obviously for smaller cameras).

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Up to your early twenties you can go a week without bathing and never give it a second thought. But the older you get the more self-conscious you get until you simply have to take one every day whether you need one or not. On multi-day backpacks I carry a 1-gallon collapsible water container and at the end of the day fill it with stream water and, if the water is cold, place it on a rock in the sun to heat up while I set-up camp and then "take a shower." In areas where I have to carry a bear can I leave the collapsible container at home and use the bear can. The "shower" makes you feel "brand new."

Thomas
    Seems the older I get the less I'm concerned with what the world thinks about me and how I smell. Maybe that's the "old man smell" I hear about. After a week camping in the Sierras, I'm more concerned about finding a comfortable bed. Rod Stewart said it, "My body stunk, but I kept my funk."
    Jerry Parker

Domingo,
    You have not said where you will be walking. Perhaps some section of the Camino de Santiago. When walking an area you are going to want to look around. Stop and enjoy the views. Chat with folks. Assuming walking for 50 minutes and resting for 10 minutes every hour you can expect that 4km per hour on the plateau is about the best. If you decide to take a picture how long does it require for you to decide on a picture, set up to take the picture, take the picture and then repack your gear? How many hours do you want to be on the trail each day? Thinking about these things may help you decide how far you can reasonably travel and still enjoy your holiday. People who are doing photography generally travel less than through hikers. In any case, enjoy your trip.
    Let us know what you see.
    Regards,
    Ric

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I have found that when I go to a small town or out of the way place, that when I ask people about special secret photographic places in their area that I have found some real photographic gems.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Raymond View Post
    Domingo,
    You have not said where you will be walking. Perhaps some section of the Camino de Santiago.
    [...]
    hi Richard. No, it will not be any part of the Camino de Santiago: my route will be surrounding the Tablas de Daimiel national park, 180 km south Madrid. In April, the weather there should be mild and have very good light.

2 Bit Hack

On my first morning at Monument Valley I stopped to shoot Sentinel Mesa from the parking lot of The View Hotel. While setting up for the first "Landscape" a local came over from some hut in the parking lot and said that for $100 he would take me to areas where only the local Navaho had access. From what I gathered it was the areas just to the east of the valley where there is a remarkable hogback in the distance. Being the paranoid fool that I am I declined. If I had had a companion with me I may have taken him up. But I have since learned that there is a public dirt track that runs through this area.

BTW I was certainly glad I took the GEM3 locator with me. I did not have need to press the help or panic buttons but it served well to track my movements and photo locations (when I remembered to push the button). It was also great to send short daily messages to those in my list.
    Regards

Marty