Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format developing methods

Large Format developing methods

Hi,

I would like to ask a short question in a long detailed explanation so you can answer me better way.

I started to shoot LF last year, but i was worry how to develop the sheets, i used the lab to develop my first 4 sheets and i did it myself at home for the fifth one, the lab is a bit pricey for B&W [color is just fine], and i developed at home by trays, this method was painful and i hated, and i ended up with a neg having scratches [not sure from the developing or from something else].

I bought BTZS tubes, and i bought HP Combi-Plan, i didn't use both yet as i need many things to know before i do, but i really don't know how and where i can find the answer i need to start, so that i will ask the question.

I read a lot that Jobo system is nice and recommended for processing film for Lf or even MF, but people just answer me thinking i live in USA or Europe and can afford Jobo somewhere, i live in UAE and even if i use websites i can't find JOBO and i don't think the shipping option helping me at all to order one anywhere in the world, so i make this JOBO option out, wish this JOBO is still in production so i can buy it from some websites such as Freestyle or B&H or Amazon and so.

Now the question is, what is the best method for processing LF for me in my situation? BTZS video links is not helpful enough, the talking instructor is a bit not so clear for me, i may need another one with more detailed one and slower more clear speaking so i can understand all the steps one by one, also the last question is, what is the dilution amounts for the dev/stop bath, and fixer for BTZS and Combi-Plan if i use any? i want to know the amount accurate or math way rather than some saying you can use drops or use 1/4 for dev and so, i prefer to tell me use 74.59372ml than just saying use little amount to the water, little amounts or drops i may not do it properly and i am not sure if it will work really, i was not sure at all when i mixed for trays, it worked but i can't remember now what i did if i used drops or certain amount, is there anywhere telling me how much dilution i need to mix chemicals in LF processing methods? HP Combi-Plan i was not sure if i want to use it because i heard many say they have leaking and the amount of 1L is too much, but i found that i can develop 6 sheets at once in 1L, so this may be a good option than just develop 1-2 in 1L, also i don't know about the washing method for all those methods above, can you answer me in more details step by step please? My English level is not that great to understand 1-2 lines only or short sentences of answers.

Re: Large Format developing methods

Would you consider revisiting tray development? Figure out why you got scratches.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Try dip-n-dunk using Kodak hard rubber tanks.

I develop my 8x10 in tubes (like the one you have) and my results have been very good. I do the developing, stop bath and fixingin the tubes and the final washing in a tray. If I'm doing 1-2 sheets, then I even wash in the tube using the ilford method.

I have a combi-plan tank for my 4x5, but it requires almost 55 ounces of chemicals so I only use it when I have 6-8 sheets. Otherwise, I use my 4x5 tubes.

Practice a bit and you'll be ok.

good luck. If you have more questions, ask away!

multiplex

deep tanks is a no brainer,
    easy and works every time
    the only down side is learning how
    to do it, and standing in the dark for 10 mis

Hello Professional,

An easy way to develop one 4x5 sheet at a time in a small volume of solution is to use one of these:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5041-A...ls?cat_id=1603

Use the tank and center core without the reels.

Put one sheet of film in the tank, emulsion side towards the center of the tank, with the core in place, and then put the funnel light trap on. When you pour the solution in the top, it escapes at the bottom of the center core, and fills the tank from the bottom up. This helps to prevent solution from splashing the film as the tank fills, but I recommend a plain water pre-wash to wet the film evenly before the developer is added.

Use a full tank of water for the pre-wash, and agitate vigorously for about two minutes.

Pour out the water, and then pour in the developer solution. If you agitate the tank continuously, by gently inverting the tank, you need only a small volume of developer solution; 200ml should be adequate. If you intend to use intermittent agitation, the tank must be filled with developer solution so that the film is completely covered during the rest periods.

When development is complete, pour out the developer, and rinse with plain water. Fill the tank, invert 5 times, dump, re-fill with plain water, invert 10 times, dump.

Pour fixer in the tank, and agitate gently and continuously for the recommended time.

Pour the fixer back into its container.

Wash using the Ilford rapid wash sequence. Fill with plain water, invert 5 times, dump. Fill with fresh water, invert ten times, dump. Fill with fresh water, invert twenty times, dump. Your film is now washed.

Fill with distilled water and add a few drops of Photo Flo.

Soak for 30 seconds to a minute, or so.

Hang to dry in a dust-free place.

The above method is safe, reliable, and inexpensive, but slow. Processing multiple sheets together requires a more complicated system.

For best results, keep all solutions at the same temperature

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Would you consider revisiting tray development? Figure out why you got scratches.
    the another issue for ignoring tray is that i don't have a darkroom, and in the darkness i have to sit to the side to do tray processing, was pain in.... and i really don't know why i've got scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Try dip-n-dunk using Kodak hard rubber tanks.
    Where i can find that?

Quote Originally Posted by marcant21 View Post
    I develop my 8x10 in tubes (like the one you have) and my results have been very good. I do the developing, stop bath and fixingin the tubes and the final washing in a tray. If I'm doing 1-2 sheets, then I even wash in the tube using the ilford method.

I have a combi-plan tank for my 4x5, but it requires almost 55 ounces of chemicals so I only use it when I have 6-8 sheets. Otherwise, I use my 4x5 tubes.

Practice a bit and you'll be ok.

good luck. If you have more questions, ask away!
    That is why i bought the BTZS tubes [i can get for 8x10, but i don't have 8xx10] and HP Combi Plan, so if i dev 1-2 i will use the tubes if i know how to use, if i will dev more than 4 [6-8] then the combo tank could be a solution, but the leakage is an issue i don't want to face if it may cause a problem to my film dev.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    deep tanks is a no brainer,
    easy and works every time
    the only down side is learning how
    to do it, and standing in the dark for 10 mis
    In fact i feel i want to go this path as i dev my MF with one of those tanks, so i feel more comfortable if i know how to use it over the tray or the tubes, but what do you mean by standing in the dark? Is it required for deep tank?