Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: NYC LF Photography Shoot

Re: NYC LF Photography Shoot

Richard Ritter. Richard did some work on my 11x14 Wisner and did an amazing job. It wasn't turned around the next day, but he didn't say it would be. In fact, his time estimate was right on, even when extra work was added.

http://www.lg4mat.net/

Cheers!
    --A

Well, it's a bit late but here's a couple of my 11x14 shots from that weekend. I need some help figuring out how to avoid scratching sheets of film. (I'll start a new post for that) These photos (except for the Elm shots) were "cleaned up" a bit.

I liked the horizontal view of the trees better than the vertical. Both were really cool (and very different), and provide a wonderful example of how the resolution of photo is greater than human vision....even with a magnifying glass you still wouldn't see all the limbs that exist in the negative!

--A

alec, very cool. however, is there something wrong with either your film holders or developing technique or scanning? the skies in the first and last photos appear to have streaking. or is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    I liked the horizontal view of the trees better than the vertical
    Everybody is different. I prefer the vertical shot but I'm a sucker for symetrical compositions

We should definetly do this again when it warms up.

Alan.

I also prefer the vertical, but I can't remember what mine is. Haven't had a chance to process the film yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh X View Post
    alec, very cool. however, is there something wrong with either your film holders or developing technique or scanning? the skies in the first and last photos appear to have streaking. or is it me?
    Nope, not you. I printed these on fiber paper and my scanner doesn't keep them terribly flat. Then there's my crappy stitching job to boot.... but the streaks are from the paper curl.

Funny that you mentioned symmetry, Alan...I was thinking I'd like the horizontal shot more if the center line was more in the two-thirds area. LOL, it's too centered for me.

We will do this again when it gets warmer...for sure. Up for ideas on locations.

--A

PS: Moderators, can you please move this thread to "Groups & Meetings"? I'm afraid I got it wrong when I made the first post..... Thanks!

Alec,

Enjoyed the photos very much, I'm wondering how you scan an 11x14? There does seem to be uneven tonality in the sky in first and last shots. Is this in the neg or just in the print/digital image?

Don

Hey Don,

Nope, the neg and the print look great. The sky problems you see are caused by the warp of the fiber paper (not lying flat on the scanner). It's "scalloping" so the edges that lie flat are darker than the edges that lift off the scanner. Since these are unmounted 11x14 contact prints I had to make two scans of each photo and stitch them together in photoshop. The real maddening part was the "spotting" of the prints, though none was necessary for the elms...

Considered trying to "dodge" and "burn" in photoshop to fix the sky thing, but I had enough of technology for the day.

--A

Hi Alec,

At the next meeting, would it be possible to invite those with recent prints to bring them? Would like to see the 11x14 contact prints (if its not too much trouble to carry them). Have you gotten any suggestions for a location? How about Cold Spring? There's a state park just north of town with views of the river.

Don