Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

Re: 42CM Heliar Vss 42CM Euryscop Portrait Series III

Jim, thanks for doing these. I can't tell you how much I enjoy them and the rest of your website.

The lenses seem remarkably similar. Did you shoot the Heliar at f16? I may have missed that one. BTW, do you print these or just scan them? And do you use the same PanX for portraits? What is it...like asa 10?

I honestly can't tell the difference, at least not on a computer monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark MacKenzie View Post
    Jim, thanks for doing these. I can't tell you how much I enjoy them and the rest of your website.

The lenses seem remarkably similar. Did you shoot the Heliar at f16? I may have missed that one. BTW, do you print these or just scan them? And do you use the same PanX for portraits? What is it...like asa 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I honestly can't tell the difference, at least not on a computer monitor.
    They are pretty subtle. I didn't do a Heliar f16. 5 sheets fit in the Jobo. How dumb is that? These are all scans and I don't get the printing darkroom fired up often enough at all. I wish I had more sitters for portraits. All dressed up and nowhere to go. I would use Efke 100 for portraits if I had the folks I think. Pan X is asa 32. I find the 100 asa in open shade with window light is just about right for a packard shutter on instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Same here. Tried last night and this morning.
    It's fine now. Maybe all Jim's fans were trying to look at the same time, and we know there are millions of them.

I see very subtle differences, but AI don't know how much is due to light changes and/or camera position changes. Both lenses make wonderful images.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I have enjoyed all of Jim's little experiments as shown and described on his website.

It is interesting that you should post this comparison. I've been shooting my "big guns", which for me are the lenses that are too big to fit on a 8x10 Kodak 2D's 6x6 lens board, to figure out what the differences are and what I like best. And, it is difficult for me to identify which lens characteristics are relevant and to choose the lenses that I like best. Maybe it is the variety of lenses that I've been shooting, which include a 42cm Universal Heliar, Euroscop Series IV No. 7 (now sold), Eidoscope No. 1, 16" Kodak Portrait Lens, 18" B&L UNAR, and 16" B&L 3A Petzval.

What lens characteristics in the image do you look at/for and do you have any preferences in what you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    It is interesting that you should post this comparison. I've been shooting my "big guns", which for me are the lenses that are too big to fit on a 8x10 Kodak 2D's 6x6 lens board, to figure out what the differences are and what I like best. And, it is difficult for me to identify which lens characteristics are relevant and to choose the lenses that I like best. Maybe it is the variety of lenses that I've been shooting, which include a 42cm Universal Heliar, Euroscop Series IV No. 7 (now sold), Eidoscope No. 1, 16" Kodak Portrait Lens, 18" B&L UNAR, and 16" B&L 3A Petzval.

What lens characteristics in the image do you look at/for and do you have any preferences in what you like?

Hi Jay. Nothing scientifically quantifiable for you. Pure gut feeling. Like tools in the toolbox. I allow myself this latitude in artistic endeavors. If I allowed the same method in real life, well, then..........I'd be a removed, too early in the AM to mis-behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Nothing scientifically quantifiable for you. Pure gut feeling. Like tools in the toolbox.
    Well, at the risk of showing my ignorance, here's what I've been comparing:

1) Bokeh, the out of focus rendering of specular highlights.

2) Out of focus rendering/transitions of light and dark regions.

3) Small scale local contrast, aka "micro contrast", in the in focus regions.

4) Transition of in focus to out of focus regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Well, at the risk of showing my ignorance, here's what I've been comparing:

1) Bokeh, the out of focus rendering of specular highlights.

2) Out of focus rendering/transitions of light and dark regions.

3) Small scale local contrast, aka "micro contrast", in the in focus regions.

4) Transition of in focus to out of focus regions.
    And, are you finding some that you like more than others, some that you really don't like, ??

My problem is I tend to like them all. From one end of the spectrum to the other, I feel all of them might have their special thing they would do best.