Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Not really mocking, just funny:
    While I was under the dark cloth of my 8x10, I could hear some spectators gathering, the man said to his family "Shhh, be quiet, he's making a time exposure."
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Drew Wiley

I was way up atop an obsidian dome off Hwy 395, having returned from a backpack trip, while my buddy was waiting down below at a picnic
    table beside the dirt road itself. A jeep of tourist types pull up, and asks him what I'm doing up there with that tripod thing. Well, this same
    branch road connects to the big open earthquake fault scenic turnout at its upper end, just before connecting with the paved Mammoth Mtn
    ski lodge road, so right at the highway there's a forest service sign noting it as the Fault road, in addition to Obsidian Domes. So my pal tells
    em I'm measuring the rate of the fault cracking up there with a special device, and that they better clear out fast or it might open up down there too, and they'll fall in! They take the bait, panic, all jump back in the Jeep and speed off.

Absolutely love it!!! Your friend must be a hoot to have around!
    Also frightening just how stupid people are... Surprised they also didn't ask who's "fault" it was.

Yes, by far the best thing to take the piss out of strangers and send them off ignorant of what you were doing, rather than explain.
    much much funnier and of course preserves the "mystique" of film photography.
    God forbid we should have any stupid newcomers getting interested and spoiling our little clique

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    God forbid we should have any stupid newcomers getting interested and spoiling our little clique
    Thus speaks a real Master!

I was mocked only once in over 40 years because of my 4x5. These days with digitial so mainstream, most people don't think I am photographing in the first place. I have heard theories from passerbys such as making a movie, surveying, and my favorite, bird watching. I had the camera pointed toward the ground. What bird would allow me to watch them like that?

Once, some kids in NYC said, "Why not use a new camera?" I said, "Its actually not as old as you might think and its working fine". They were fine with that, or didn't really care.

I had a moment while shooting a landscape right off the center of a little town where a mother and her teenage son where watching. It turned out he was going to college that fall to study photography. They were so happy that I invited them to look through the camera.

Another time a middle aged man was watching me and then told me his father had cameras like mine, and watching me brought back memories of his father. He loved that I was still using a 4x5 and shooting film.

Overall, most people are simply curious or happy that I am using this kind of camera.

Yes, and for using film. One guy I know calls me a Luddite all the time.

John Olsen

I was thinking about this thread while shooting some ghost towns in Eastern Washington this last week. Shooting LF is a great way to meet people of all ages, it seems. Truck drivers wave and punk girls want to take a look. What else can have such a wide acceptance?

I don't get this-most people I run into think using a big old film camera is cool.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Here, they love to say in a loud voice, 'Is that a FILM camera?' Like it was as old as a Pyramid. I just nod, smile and keep doing whatever I'm doing.

So many add, 'I had one just like that.' that I know they are lying.

Since in the city, I often sit down for a long time and look, they get bored. I shoot without them noticing.

I can be very still and quiet, like hunting, which I am. Talking is never helpful.
    Tin Can