Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: matte Ink & Photo Black--Epson 3800 problem

matte Ink & Photo Black--Epson 3800 problem

I just unpacked & set up the 3800 yesterday & went through (I thought) the pre-programing stuff, did some nose clearning prints, paper setup etc and set up the printer to Matte Ink with the Enhanced Matte Epson paper (exhibition) combo.

So I was ready to do my first print--I sent the command to "print" & then the Epson did a switch on me--it went from Matte to Photo black & commenced on the change (consuming large amt of ink of course) and printed in Photo Black before I realized it.

A mistake of course, not what I had planned, however, I'm now stuck trying to figure out how to get the Epson to change from Photo Blk to Matte & stay there.

In the manuel, I'm not "seeing or reading" anything on that--to make the change.

Please advise this newbbie--thank you---Raymond

PS:

Doing a print in Dektol for the first time in 1975 was less distressful

Re: matte Ink & Photo Black--Epson 3800 problem

I don't own a 3800 (I have a 4800), but I would guess that you need to set your paper type in the print dialogue window on your computer to the correct setting. I'm not sitting in front of my printing computer but I think "enhanced matte" is one of the available options. You probably have it set to one of the glossy or satin (luster) paper types which is what triggered the switch to photo black ink.

Hi, I think the confusion is the part about "exhibition". Exhibition Fiber Paper is a photo/glossy paper, so the printer will switch inks to that to print. You can select enhanced matte under "matte paper".

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

As above, most likely the paper setting.

On my wish list for the next 3800 driver: A warning dialogue that pops up on screen and says, "Do you really want to switch black inks?"

This is a must for Epson...are you listening?

Raymond,

This was happening to me on a regular basis. Somewhere in your setup you have checked a preference for that printer and it is marked as a paper using the photo black. I'm not at the computer that is hooked up to my printer so I hope this is correct. Go to your control panel and click on your printer. After you have selected your printer, go to printing preferences and make sure the paper you have selected is the matte type paper. I think this will take care of the problem. I'll double check this later in the day. But as I recall, this solved my problem. You will have to make sure that if you want to then change to the photo black ink, you change your printing preference again. Hope this helps. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post

On my wish list for the next 3800 driver: A warning dialogue that pops up on screen and says, "Do you really want to switch black inks?"

No kidding - we have this problem at school all the time because people are not well versed as to what they are doing.

Even better, ask this question at the printer LCD! And add a loud beep for good measure.

I just set up my "new" refurbished 3800 and had much worse problems. Apparantly all the heads were clogged when it was shipped. The ink acted like it charged, even though I thought it was much to fast, but the first head check prints were blank. It took a day of head cleanings to get ink to the heads. When I switched to PK for a test on ilford Gold Silk, the black ink did not print at all. It finally took a power cleaning to get all the heads printing. I was at the point of sending it back if that didn't work. Hope it stays ok. The first print on 8.5 x 11 silk also had a very prominant roller scuff mark in the center, not a pizza wheel, but scrubbing. Also head strikes. Raisng the platen to "wider" and the next print was beautiful using Eric Chan's custom profiles in photoshop. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem with refurbished Epsons. Not to mention the quircky paper feed problems and the front latch that doesn't work.

I agree 100%. The fact that the printer does the MK to PK or PK to MK change without a warning is one of the most irritating things I have found with this printer. You can have everything else correct, but if you choose a paper type that does not match the ink in use the 3800 will simply change the inks. And this costs quite a bit because when it is done the inks are flushed from the system, and I believe that inks other than PM and MK are involved, which if true makes the change even more expensive.

A simple warning in the software would be nice. Skeptics might suggest that Epson avoided the warning knowing that they would be rewarded with more ink sales.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    No kidding - we have this problem at school all the time because people are not well versed as to what they are doing.

Even better, ask this question at the printer LCD! And add a loud beep for good measure.

WHY WOULD EPSON DO THAT.... People would save tons of ink that way. Have you figured out how much that stuff is a gallon? Makes gas seem cheap.

I used have my high school students print with only matte surface papers, but I am switching to a lustre surface because I will save on ink changes.
    Robert Oliver

Right, in another thread it was stated that the price of Epson ink is well over $2000 per gallon.

The problem of the switch over from PM to MK and vice versa is so obvious that any early testing of the printer should have informed the Epson folks to inset some type of warning system into the printer. The fact that there is no such warning absolutely supports your implications that the decision to not do so was deliberate because some suck-up a@s h&le anticipated the consequences.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    WHY WOULD EPSON DO THAT.... People would save tons of ink that way. Have you figured out how much that stuff is a gallon? Makes gas seem cheap.

I used have my high school students print with only matte surface papers, but I am switching to a lustre surface because I will save on ink changes.