Thread: Canon Pixma Pro-100 Color Printing Workflow

Canon Pixma Pro-100 Color Printing Workflow

I am getting a slight shift in blue/magenta in my scanning (Epon V700) to printing (Pixma Pro-100) workflow and wanted to hear what settings others are using with this printer. My current workflow is that I scan in Adobe RGB and stay in this profile until I am ready to post images for online use. For web use, I convert everything to sRGB before uploading. I don't convert any of my scans for printing purposes and I simply print using the Print module in Lightroom 4 where I select the appropriate paper color profile in the options. I am using Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss (SG-201) paper.

Should I be converting to a different color space before printing? My intuition says no but I am not sure and I haven't found this question answered on the internet yet.

Please note that my monitor is calibrated. However, neither my scanner or printer is calibrated. My thought is that using Canon Paper/Ink/Profiles combination should print what I see on my calibrated screen.

Would appreciate any tips I can get to get better color matching between the monitor and the printer.

Pali

Re: Canon Pixma Pro-100 Color Printing Workflow

If your monitor is profiled, and some reference images look good on it as a check, then the problem lies in your printing. If the slight blue is visible on the screen you have to correct the cast either in the scanner software, or more likely in your editor.

You do not need to do any profile conversion before printing.

If you are printing in LR and have selected a profile, you need to turn all corrections off in the printer driver. How you do this will depend on the operating system and driver. On the Mac with LR and the Pro100 it seems to be automatic.

I made profiles for the Pro100 and haven't tried the factory profiles. It's possible they are not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    If your monitor is profiled, and some reference images look good on it as a check, then the problem lies in your printing. If the slight blue is visible on the screen you have to correct the cast either in the scanner software, or more likely in your editor.

You do not need to do any profile conversion before printing.

If you are printing in LR and have selected a profile, you need to turn all corrections off in the printer driver. How you do this will depend on the operating system and driver. On the Mac with LR and the Pro100 it seems to be automatic.

I made profiles for the Pro100 and haven't tried the factory profiles. It's possible they are not very good.
    Larry, Agreed that problem is in the printer. I actually do not see any cast - what I am noticing is a shift in colors where blue becomes purple and magenta becomes greenish cast only while printing. My screen is calibrated and the colors are consistent across multiple displays (some calibrated other such as iPad not). What I am glad to hear is that you didn't mention converting image color profiles which I am not sure if it changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I have used the factory profiles with Photoshop and Lightroom without problems, but I calibrate my monitor and printer regularly with a Colormunki. Never calibrated my scanner before, but I do my DSLR.
    I think this may be the route I need to go. I calibrate my screen once a month but my hardware only support calibrating displays so have been out of luck calibrating the printer. If I understand correctly, you calibrate your printer and then select paper profile AFTER the printer has been calibrated correct? I ask because my understanding is that you calibrate printer for each Paper/Ink combination that you plan to use and use the profiles as replacement for manufacture's paper profiles.

Also interested if someone can confirm that working in Adobe RGB is not the problem.

Thanks!

Pali

Adobe RGB is most definitely not the problem.

The first thing I would try is to set LR to let the printer manage colors (top option in the profile if I remember correctly). Then select the profile in the printer driver setup. My guess is you are somehow double applying the profiles, once in LR and once in the driver.

I am seriously confused with this. I tried using Canon Print Studio Pro and colors for this tricky image came out perfect. I printed 20+ test prints using Lightroom with all combinations of color settings (Profile in Printer / Profile in LR / Profile in Both) combinations and none came out as good as Canon Print Studio Pro.

This shouldn't be this hard - I must be missing something really simple in LR. Hopefully I'll figure this out soon and if I do, I will definitely post here so others don't waste this much ink and paper.

I really really really like the LR template management for prints otherwise I would just give up on Lightroom.

Frustrating for now...

Finally found the solution in the printer preference settings. I kept looking for Color Matching and didn't find it until this morning. This should have been better documented but I am not going to complain now. Happy that I can print using Lightroom without guesswork.

Hope this helps someone else having the same problem.

Pali