Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

Re: Show us your home made camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Steve,

I'm excited with your project: Great !!!!

I'm very happy to see projects like this one !!!

Best Regards,
    Pere
    Thanks Pere. I'm excited about it to :0) I'm making a few final adjustments to the overall design to make the camera easier to setup and also to simplify the manufacturing process. Once I'm happy with those, I'll build another one and get it out in the field to test it thoroughly.

NewHinge by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by stevelmx5 View Post
    Thanks Pere. I'm excited about it to :0) I'm making a few final adjustments to the overall design to make the camera easier to setup and also to simplify the manufacturing process. Once I'm happy with those, I'll build another one and get it out in the field to test it thoroughly.

NewHinge by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr
    Let point a way I use with 3d printing (instead laser, that also I use), for the case it can be useful to manufacture some rigid parts that you may need to be very more rigid.

Rather than printing the 3D part I print a PE mold of the part, and I fill it with a technical resin mixed with cut fiberglass (1/4" or 1/2" length), it works like reinforced concrete. Also sometimes I place a metallic (alluminium, titanium) part inside the mold, usualy a (perhaps angled) plating with holes, or little pipe. I also add black dye to make it light tight.

This delivers very rigid parts, perhaps it can be useful to make a 5x7 or 8x10, where rigidity is more critical. The Polyethylene 3D printed mold can be reused some 50 times, just spraying the mold with Silicone Mold Release Spray before pousing the resin+Catalyst.

Also sometimes I use Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP). It can be cut it with water jet.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Let point a way I use with 3d printing (instead laser, that also I use), for the case it can be useful to manufacture some rigid parts that you may need to be very more rigid.

Rather than printing the 3D part I print a PE mold of the part, and I fill it with a technical resin mixed with cut fiberglass (1/4" or 1/2" length), it works like reinforced concrete. Also sometimes I place a metallic (alluminium, titanium) part inside the mold, usualy a (perhaps angled) plating with holes, or little pipe. I also add black dye to make it light tight.

This delivers very rigid parts, perhaps it can be useful to make a 5x7 or 8x10, where rigidity is more critical. The Polyethylene 3D printed mold can be reused some 50 times, just spraying the mold with Silicone Mold Release Spray before pousing the resin+Catalyst.

Also sometimes I use Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP). It can be cut it with water jet.

Regards
    Thanks for advice Pere, that's very useful information. With my 5x4, I've redesigned the hinge mechanism since building the first version to remove the need for the 3D printed hinge due to the added cost and complexity. I now have the hinge mechanism built around laser cut acrylic parts instead which, whilst being faster and simpler to produce, should also increase stability (along with the vertical supports either side of the rear standard) over the printed hinge.

Cheers

It's been a while since I updated my progress but I ran a dry assembly of my Chroma to check the alignment/fit;

Untitled by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I've also finalised my bellows design/assembly so all three layers (internal blackout, card ribs, external colour) are laser cut then laminated so I can now cut/assemble a set of bellows in around 20 minutes which is a massive time saving for the overall assembly.

First build of laser cut bellows by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I've also changed the focusing mechanism to move away from a traditional rack/pinion layout and am now using a rubber friction assembly which gives a completely step-less adjustment;

Untitled by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I'm planning on launching my camera through a Kickstarter campaign in August.

6x9
    Lens: Schneider Super Angulon f/4 53mm
    Focusing ring: from Flektogon f/4 50mm
    Wood: jatoba, pear
    Weight: 1286 (inclunding Horseman roll folm holder, viewfinder, lens cap and Ilford FP4+)
    Dimensions: 173x143x160 mm (inclunding Horseman roll folm holder, viewfinder and lens cap)

and with homemade medium format view camera

DirkFletcher

Here is a new one I just finished. After completing my 520/15 Zeiss Ikonta with a fixed 47mm Super Angulon a couple years back, I almost immediately started building a companion camera with a less extreme 65mm in a focus mount. As always I enjoyed the process and the problem solving, especially glad I sent it to a leather guy and had the camera recovered after stripping the old paint and leather. Enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DirkFletcher6x12F.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	169847

Name:	DirkFletcher6x12V.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	169848

Name:	DirkFletcher6x12R.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	169849

This is great stuff! Keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    This is great stuff! Keep 'em coming.
    Agreed - just not medium format cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Agreed - just not medium format cameras!
    Aw, Steve. Can we lighten up a bit? Good ideas come from diverse projects. For example, this is one built from a nominal MF Veriwide 6x9 camera with 47mm f/5.6 S-A (actual format 56mm x 80mm) with a snap-on 4x5 back. Super rare, or at least strange. It also accepts rollfilm backs up to 6x12cm.

http://www.digoliardi.net/veriwide-4x5/veriwide-4x5.jpg

DirkFletcher

I could post a pic of my HolgaBlad but I don't wanna get tossed out of the group

Name:	IMG_6848.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	169944