Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson R2400 Banding under Mac OS 10.5.2?

Re: Epson R2400 Banding under Mac OS 10.5.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    This sounds almost as if the printer (or the driver) is reducing the image to fit. A few other basic questions:

1. What's your bit depth?

2. What's your output resolution?

3. Are you (your imaging app. actually) sending it directly to the printer or is it going to the printer spooler? I'm thinking about possible buffering failure of some sort here...

At any rate, I have no answers to these questions, just something to think about and to experiment with.

Marko
    8 bit 300 dpi 4X6 inch file

Though PS3 into the Epson Driver

Quote Originally Posted by 45photo View Post
    8 bit 300 dpi 4X6 inch file

Though PS3 into the Epson Driver
    OK, this looks more and more like the sizing issue. So, a couple of further questions:

1. Do you reduce your image to 4x6" in PS or do you let the printer driver handle it?

2. There is an option somewhere in the Epson printer driver, depending on the version, that says "Fit the media" or something along those lines. Is it on or off for you? I've seen it being on by default for several models and it keeps coming back for some reason so you really need to uncheck it every time.

joseph

Epson printers work on 360dpi-
    it might be worth changing that parameter-

Though the drivers should be able to handle whatever numbers you throw at it-

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    OK, this looks more and more like the sizing issue. So, a couple of further questions:

1. Do you reduce your image to 4x6" in PS or do you let the printer driver handle it?

2. There is an option somewhere in the Epson printer driver, depending on the version, that says "Fit the media" or something along those lines. Is it on or off for you? I've seen it being on by default for several models and it keeps coming back for some reason so you really need to uncheck it every time.
    No, the image is 4X6 to start with I don't let the driver change the sizes or anything like that, driver is just handling the printing. I have imageprint RIP as well, and get the banding there too....So I'm still thinking its a problem with the printheads or something to that degree

I only have experience with CS3 on XP but I can tell you that I had serious issues with a 2400 and an r800. Diagonal varicolor bands. Started when I went to a new system. Tried various things. What worked was swapping the video card. The only thing I can think is that there are color transformations that take place across profiles that likely pull info from the card. If the card is faulty, could cause a problem. Same problems across two different systems though seems like driver issues.

I just checked printing on my Epson 2400 and CS3, and I got banding too. I also got "mush" when printing certain images with close adjacent tones.

Here is what solved the problem for me: removing the Photoshop Preferences File. Apparently, it gets broken. Once you remove it, another one will be created the next time you start up the program. WHen printing, you will need to re-specify your settings. Now I am back in business, after several hours of... learning the benefits of patience.

See http://www.creativepro.com/article/p...eferences-file

The article cited above is a bit old. For CS3 on my machine, the file in question is called Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp, and is located in Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I just checked printing on my Epson 2400 and CS3, and I got banding too. I also got "mush" when printing certain images with close adjacent tones.

Here is what solved the problem for me: removing the Photoshop Preferences File. Apparently, it gets broken. Once you remove it, another one will be created the next time you start up the program. WHen printing, you will need to re-specify your settings. Now I am back in business, after several hours of... learning the benefits of patience.

See http://www.creativepro.com/article/p...eferences-file

The article cited above is a bit old. For CS3 on my machine, the file in question is called Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp, and is located in Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings
    That's interesting, how come I was getting banding in Imageprint 7.0 and though CS3?

If I were at Adobe or Epson or Apple, perhaps I would know the answer.

Using Imageprint adds, I presume an additional layer of complexity.

The intricacies of device drivers, printers, and operating systems are formidable.

In general, that's one reason why I like solutions like those from Apple. Software and hardware are produced by the same people, so issues like this are much less likely to arise. If Apple made a printer, I'd probably buy it. It would probably "just work".

And the verdict is.....bad print head needs to be replaced. Cost $300. Banding we not the right term, what I was seeing was electrical charges causing thin vertical lines all bunched together making about a 1 inch "band" down the paper. This really sucks I don't print a great deal, I've had the printer for about 3 years loved it have sunk money into imageprint which has been just great for B&W prints. I would love to go to a 3800 maybe depending on Imageprint I really don't want to spend anymore money on IP. So well see what happens. Looks like I'm going to replace the head which is on backorder.
    What would you do?

Thanks for sharing all this info, which will probably help someone else down the road.

This digital imaging stuff being rather new technology, it's natural for customers to be part of the "Quality Assurance" effort, since the products are developed and rolled out in ever-shorter cycles. When things go wrong, we also help finance the whole enterprise.