Page 152 of 274 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2731

Thread: post your Architecture photographs!

Re: post your Architecture photographs!

Austin,

Have you ever been hassled by security when taking photos like this? Last time I was on top of a parking garage downtown taking LF photos a security cop gave me a bad time for a while.

I always enjoy a new perspective on my hometown. What focal length lens was this?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Austin,

Have you ever been hassled by security when taking photos like this? Last time I was on top of a parking garage downtown taking LF photos a security cop gave me a bad time for a while.

I always enjoy a new perspective on my hometown. What focal length lens was this?

Jonathan
    It feels like I'm always hassled by security wherever I go, but strangely, on this day I was completely left alone. As for focal length, it was a standard 250 on 5x7, but this is a very severe crop (it was originally vertical to give you an idea of how severe). I've found that's one nice thing about 5x7; it allows for some pretty drastic crops without too much loss of quality.

Kind of off topic, but I've been reading this book on Portland architecture (by Bart King) and it's making me look at our city with fresh eyes. I recommend it if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I'll look for the book. That sort of thing DOES interest me!

And I crop my 4x5s like mad, too, so I understand. If I know I need to crop severely I'll use a roll film back at times. One of the things I like about shooting Polaroid negatives is that, since I like the goopy edges, I really have to crop carefully in camera or lose the border. It forces me to frame differently than with standard film. Sadly my final reserves of type 55 and type 51 are running low.

Jonathan

two stiff buildings from the overcast Basel:

Picassohaus by Aron Lorincz, on Flickr

Jacob Bruckhardt Haus by Aron Lorincz, on Flickr

c&c welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    It feels like I'm always hassled by security wherever I go, but strangely, on this day I was completely left alone. . .
    Just wondering - where do you typically go? CIA headquarters? In about 30 years of photography (including a couple days in Portland) I've never been hassled and haven't even been spoken to by any security type except once, many years ago, when a bank security guard told me to not set up my camera and tripod on the bank's property.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Hindu Temple
    Elgin, IL

Fortepan 200 in Pyrocat HD
    Ilford MGIV toned in selenium
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hindu Temple 12 post.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	73212

dlin... Nice high-key shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Just wondering - where do you typically go? CIA headquarters? In about 30 years of photography (including a couple days in Portland) I've never been hassled and haven't even been spoken to by any security type except once, many years ago, when a bank security guard told me to not set up my camera and tripod on the bank's property.
    No CIA headquarters yet, just the usual stuff: malls, rail yards, parking structures, barns, condos, downtown office buildings, industrial sites, dams, cornfields (!), abandoned buildings of all sorts... Maybe I'm just a suspicious looking character. In fairness, most of the people who've told me I can't photograph have been pretty friendly about it. As far as security guards, I think sometimes they're just bored, or curious about the camera. I've had some nice talks with security guards.

Pretty much the same story for me as for Austin. I get questioned but the cops or security people end up being wary but tolerant. However, a number of years ago (closer to 9/11, which is telling) some friends and I were photographing a railroad bridge from public space when we got seriously hassled by a guard who tried to take our names and threatened to call the cops. Very hardcore.

Jonathan

The Jug, Sandy Boulevard, Portland

This building was originally a refreshment stand. The top was an orange, while the round insets below advertised Coca-Cola. Later on it was a pool hall; the orange became an eight ball, while the insets were other pool balls. In its current incarnation, The Jug serves as a strip club called Pirate's Cove.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/