Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the killer scanner for everything?

Re: What is the killer scanner for everything?

I think the Aztek Premier is the top of the heap. Am I biased? Uhhh, yeah, of course I am. It's the only one with a 3 micron capability, other than the ICG 380 and above, and I think they have it all down....

If you have questions or just want to chat, I am always happy to be interrupted by photographers...

Lenny

eigerstudios.com
    707-763-5922
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

imacon is the only way to go.
    Not too expensive any more, and if you know how to use one of apples computer machines you can get an older one that runs on SCSI for about 2500$. The technology inside has not changed over the last 15 years or so, just the interface speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I really disagree with this-if you are talking the best drum scans. I've used 750's since the day they came out. Even with wet scanning in an aftermarket holder compared to one of Lenny's drum scans? Resolution, shadow/highlight detail-maybe 70%-obvious differences at even 16x20. I have access to the latest Imacons-maybe 80%.
    Ha I guess so. And where would you put a Creo flatbed, about or slightly above an Imacon?

Kevin, just a tip, start out with smaller 2-300mb files like you might already be used to from digital to get experience. Even if you shoot something amazing right away, they will still be large enough files for anything practical, and you can always rescan in the future if a certain image becomes famous or needs to go larger. Trying to work on really large files without a really serious workstation can be rather tedious and slow.... everything has to proportionately scale up in your workflow - as you've seen, a heavier tripod, etc.

Also good to think of a naming convention and how you are going to store your rare chromes.

Which Creo flatbed? The Jazz that I have about equal with an early Imacon. A Kodak Creo iQsmart 3? As good as a low end drum scanner.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks guys, I'll call you Lenny as I get closer to finishing this project -- month or two... thanks Frank. I'm leaning toward using Lenny or someone... Like framing I'd rather have someone else do it. But I may bet the low end Epson for BW proofing. Maybe.... I'll get into it for smaller files as you say, so I'll hold onto all the info here.

iqsmart 3 is fine if u have a spake 15k or so...
    as far as quality goes they are fine, but an imacon is not a flat bed scanner... no glass. no huge foot print and of course no option for 8x10...

I am using the 750 for web stuff (both 4x5 and 35mm) ... I have pretty good darkroom darkroom experience, so I have a foundation. While I haven't really dialed the Epson in (I use VueScan) or tried printing, I'm pretty happy with it. Seems to work well with VueScan.

go for an IQ3 smart scanner with a wet mounting tray. I've had 2 ICG drum scanner, sorry i sold them. i had and sold a nikon coolscan 9000 a replaced it with a creo IQ3 smart scanner with a wet mounting tray. Very close to my ICG drum scanner, run via firewire and is easy to use. The scanning software is great and the scan times are pretty fast. You can scan any and all size negatives up to 13x18". There is a 35mm slide holder that holds 40 slides, make your settings and walk away.
    I scan 4x5 ektar and it is beautiful. you can get a used IQ3 scanner for $10-12K with the wet mounting tray.

Unless you are planning to scan more then 5X7, the imacon is probably the best quality you can get. even then it is at least half the price of a Qsamrt, and does not require a special computer board to run the software. Flexlight software is also some kind of industry standart, along with the machine it self. super powerful software with the best Dmax range make it that "best" option.

You can pick up a good used drum scanner like a Howtek in the 3-5K range that will exceed the capabilities of an Imacon-not nearly as convenient to use however.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"